Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

letting out a property

(19 Posts)
shelleylou Sat 11-Jul-09 18:54:48

What needs to be done by the landlord before a tenancy agreement can be made? What should be included in the agreement.
Think that shows i havent got a clue what needs to be done so all information, advice is greatly appreciated.

FiveGoMadInDorset Sat 11-Jul-09 18:56:24

Need to decide if letting privately/agent. Furnished/unfurnished, what goods are you going to leave in, eg, we provide a fridge with our flat but when we rented we had to buy out own, inventory of what is in.

shelleylou Sat 11-Jul-09 19:08:25

going to be done privately as have priosepctive tenants already. Will have kitchen aplliances. Can we do an inventory ourselves or do we need some sort of contractor to do that?

ABetaDad Sat 11-Jul-09 19:11:30

If you go through a letting agent they will have a standard agreement. I think you can buy standard letting agreements in packs from WH Smiths too.

Here is a link to the Law Society site also that gives basic advice.

Rememeber you bneed a Gas Certificate by law and you need to put the tenant deposit in a registered Tenancy Deposit Scheme or face heavy fines.

shelleylou Sat 11-Jul-09 19:13:23

I know any appliances need safety checks aswell as the gas certificate. I just dont know how to go about getting them.
Is it possible to have an increased rent payment to cover the deposit if it cannot be paid for in advance. Thanks for the link ABetaDad

ABetaDad Sat 11-Jul-09 19:13:38

shellylou - I really think if you have never done this before you need an agent. It really is quiet complex. I have rented for 25 years in lots of different property and the complexity of it increases every year.

Landlords who have never done it before really have a mountain to climb and it could turn into a nightmare to manage it yourself.

ABetaDad Sat 11-Jul-09 19:14:46

I am assuming you are planning to be a landlord rather than a tenant?

LIZS Sat 11-Jul-09 19:21:55

You can do the inventory yourselves. Itmeise everything you leave, annotate its condition (ie wear on carpets, marks on walls) and both you and the tenant should sign it as correct. You must have a current Gas Safety certificate and also have an electrical inspection done. Any soft furnishigns need ot meet fire regs.

Also buildings insurance is still down to you , plus cover for any content such as white goods, you should agree it with your morgage company, insurer and any freeholder. Make sure all the bills are read and accounts transferred at the agreed date the tenancy commences.

Within the contract mention who is going to live there, expected frequency of inspections (and the amount of notice you would give, min 24 hours), the inventory, any expectations of maintenance ie to garden and that no redecoration/alterations without prior consent, conditions such as no pets, no smoking indoors, Sky dish and that they should not cause disturbance to neighbours etc. State the rent, the date on which it is due, and deposit (you to arrange for it to be held in a secure scheme). Also the notice period on each side (usually an assured shorthold tenancy is 6 months minimum with one month's notice on tenant's side, 2 on landlord). If it goes beyond that you cna either formally renew with another contract or it rolls with the same t and c's. I'm sure a solicitor could draft a contract for you quite quickly or you could get a standard one from the internet.

LIZS Sat 11-Jul-09 19:24:04

We had the annual safety inspection done as part of the British Gas Service contract (useful in case of breakdown too) and a qualified local electrician for the electrics.

shelleylou Sat 11-Jul-09 19:24:09

Information is for DP as its his property. I just wanted to know what he would need to do.

oodlesofpoodles Sat 11-Jul-09 19:24:50

Look in the yellowpages under central heating and there will be loads of ads for Landlords safety certs. Ditto for electrics. The Deposit Protection Service allows you to submit multiple deposits as long as they are submitted within 14 days of receiving them. Look at Make sure your buildings insurance covers the tenant you have (mine doesn't cover students for example).

LIZS Sat 11-Jul-09 19:25:02

You need a deposit upfront really , very risky otherwise.

shelleylou Sat 11-Jul-09 19:27:50

thats very helpful LIZS. DP currently has homecare would that be a way to get the gas check done?

LIZS Sat 11-Jul-09 19:28:52

Certainly worth asking .

shelleylou Sat 11-Jul-09 19:29:22

Hoping to get the deposit upfront, just looking at other options.

FiveGoMadInDorset Sat 11-Jul-09 20:25:56

Don't hope you will need a deposit otherwise don't let it, the deposit needs to be lodged with the correct organisation as a safeguard for the tenant.

Racers Sat 11-Jul-09 20:27:41

We became landlords in April. I've used the free software Property Manager on (or can't remember which). You can download and print tenancy agreements, inventries, manage your expenses etc. Found it very useful as we set up our first, short term tenants, then set up the next tenants for a longer term contract.

Racers Sat 11-Jul-09 20:31:15

Our local council website also had some useful info re tenant and landlords rights and responsibilities.
We considered using an agent but found tenants easily through work, live very close to the property, and can put away the £100 per month we save to go towards repair and redecoration. All depends on your circumstances though..

shelleylou Sat 11-Jul-09 22:30:34

It was going to be done as deposit in advance or an increase in monthly payments untill the deposit was made in full and lodged with the correct organisation upon reciept of each payment.

Having looked into it more and when the tenants would want to move in by its been decided to go through a letting agency its on with. No way DP will be able to organise all the check etc in time, not sure if the agency will do but more chance than him.
Thanks for all the help

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: