Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Another hedge/boundry question if you wouldn't mind having a peek, please.

(9 Posts)
Olihan Sat 11-Jul-09 11:43:07

The side of our garden is bordered by a big hedge that is planted on the neighbours side. We have a 4 foot fence on our side then the hedge is above this, currently up to the height of out bedroom windows.

The house is empty and has been for the last 3 years. There are some gardeners that come in every so often but the hedge has only been trimmed once in the 2 and a half years we've lived here.

The gardeners are there at the moment, trimming this hedge.

I went round to ask if they needed to come into our garden to trim it as it's quite thick and the woman said our side is our responsibility.

Now I don't think that's right. It's planted on next door's land and it's overgrown into our garden. I don't mind getting the hedge trimmers and doing the front so it doesn't overhang, but if they're there, doing he hedge, surely they should do the bit that overhangs our garden too?

Also, if they drop lots of bits of hedge into our garden, should they have to come in and clear it all up?

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Sat 11-Jul-09 22:09:08

No, if it's spreading onto your side then you have to cut the bit that's overhanging on your property. You also have to clear it up. Imagine an invisible line that goes upwards from your fence, your property is on your side so you are responsible for it.
Sorry.

AnitaBlake Sun 12-Jul-09 18:48:04

If its on your side you are entitled to trim it, but you have to return the trimmings.....

poopscoop Sun 12-Jul-09 18:51:56

following on from this subject, is there a limit to how high you can let a hedge grow between 2 properties? Mine is about 10 ft and wonder if I need to trim?

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Sun 12-Jul-09 19:15:57

It depends on the neighbours and how much light it's blocking. 10ft isn't bad, check with them to see if it's pissing them off.

poopscoop Sun 12-Jul-09 19:21:16

thanks fluffy.

poopscoop Sun 12-Jul-09 19:21:17

thanks fluffy.

Fizzylemonade Mon 13-Jul-09 10:14:13

I think the definition is 2m but it all depends on light and enjoyment of a property.

www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2003/ukpga_20030038_en_9

bit more detail on that grin

bigstripeytiger Mon 13-Jul-09 10:25:37

My understanding is that everything growing over your side of the boundary belongs to you, so you are responsible for clipping that side of it, and the clippings belong to you (as if you want them grin)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now