Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Question about magistrates courts

(8 Posts)
jalopy Thu 09-Jul-09 16:26:01

What is the earliest time of the day court cases commence in magistrates courts?

Thanks.

Rhubarb Thu 09-Jul-09 16:27:23

They usually open around 9am and the first case is around 9.30. But it varies. Why?

jalopy Thu 09-Jul-09 16:33:27

Thanks rhubs, just trying to work out the feasability of someone attending two court cases on the same day but in different locations. Not me, I might add.

atworknotworking Thu 09-Jul-09 18:17:00

jalopy Cases can be timed but they usually give a be their by x time for hearing at x usually 1 -2 hrs before needed. Often get cases that get pulled forward or back if all witnesses / solicitors arn't on time. Or their might be an urgent case say if someone commited an offence during the night and have to be dealt with asap, so if booking times in 2 different mag's I would be extra careful, also some hearings may run longer than expected.

Simples Thu 09-Jul-09 18:18:01

no way
10 am.

Simples Thu 09-Jul-09 18:18:54

yes first case to arrive at 945 for a 10 start, but NEVER runs to time.
tis the same for crown too.
Have never heard of 9 30

NewMagOnTheBlock Thu 09-Jul-09 18:26:05

I am a magistrate. Court starts at 10am. It nearly always starts exactly on time BUT of course you may not be the first case heard so you could be waiting until lunchtime or even until the afternoon if there is a big problem or loads of people in the cells etc.

SalVolatile Fri 10-Jul-09 21:51:05

hi jalopy, also a mag here. All cases are listed for 10am, 11.30am or 2pm, but can expect to be called in order of readiness/urgency. Custody cases on the day take priority. If there are 2 cases listed in different courts on the same day then the risk of missing one is high, and there might be penalties for doing do if the matter is criminal, not family. You can contact the listings office for details of likely times, or use your solicitor if you have one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now