Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Insurance Company will not cover cost of inscription [grr]

(5 Posts)
PavlovtheForgetfulCat Thu 09-Jul-09 11:31:55

I had DHs Ipod Touch engraved when I bought it for him, as it was our first christmas as a married couple {sad i know}.

It got broken and the insurance company will pay for it to be replaced, but will pay with argos vouchers, as they have checked the price and will cover the cost from them only.

DH is now having an argument with them as they will not cover the cost of the engraving. He is arguing the policy states 'like for like' which should include the engraving.

If we purchase it from Apple direct, the engraving will cost nothing, but if we get it from Argos we have to pay for the engraving. They have said they will not cover this cost OR the engraving hmm

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Thu 09-Jul-09 11:33:38

I am so annoyed, with bloody insurance co, and with DH for breaking it angry

It costs the bloody same amount to purchase it from Apple as it does from Argos!

CMOTdibbler Fri 10-Jul-09 11:47:26

I don't think personalisation is covered though - it's like having your car custom sprayed, and then if it was written off, expecting the insurance co to replace your car and have it sprayed again.

Uae of defined suppliers, particularly for consumer electronics, is very common now in the industry for a number of reasons.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Fri 10-Jul-09 21:19:43

Thanks for replying CMOT - DH argued with them for a while and finally got them to agree to send a cheque for the amount. Apple charge the same price for the ipod as Argos, and they do not charge for the inscription to be added if it is added at purchase, so they have agreed, as there is no charge for this and it will cost them no less they will do it, and we will get vouchers for the camera which was also broken - good for him! He asked them to direct him to the part of the insurance policy where it stated like for like, not including engravings, as he was in fact asking for like for like at no extra cost to themselves.

He also said he understood they probably have a deal with Argos, and they denied this!

Good ol DH!

HerHonesty Sat 11-Jul-09 10:55:36

well if your cardigan was stolen and had a nice dribble mark down the front would you expect them to give you one with the same dribble?

sorry but i can sort of see that once you get into personalisation its just a whole new ball game. at least they are giving you the full value, not the depreciated value.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now