Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

have I any benefits of paying for a car by credit car instead of cash?

(6 Posts)
ssd Tue 07-Jul-09 23:20:55

I have enough money to pay cash to avoid interest, but is there any benefit of paying by credit card then paying off the balance?

does a credit card protect you for anything else?

ssd Tue 07-Jul-09 23:25:18

bump

Mousey84 Tue 07-Jul-09 23:45:17

If you are thinking of getting a new credit card, then opt for a reward card. I dont know about legal things re a car bought on a credit card (other than section 75 refunds), but you could get either a % back in cashback, or points if you chose the right card.

If it also has a 0% offer, just pay back the minimum balance each month and stick rest in high interest savings account to make a few extra ££££ of it.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Tue 07-Jul-09 23:48:54

If you are buying it from a garage then check they will let you use a CC. We just bought a new car (new to us rather than brand new) and the dealership would only take a deposit on CC and the balance had to be paid in cash.

annh Wed 08-Jul-09 13:13:31

The garage may also want to charge you 1% or maybe more if you pay by credit card.

muddleduck Wed 08-Jul-09 14:37:18

Agree about the reward cards, although most have a monthly limit. Have a look on the Money Saving Expert website.
Even a tesco card will give you lots of points on suhc a big purchase.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now