Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can our Preschool do that?

(7 Posts)
MrsBish Tue 07-Jul-09 15:20:21

DS's current Branch of his Preschool is closing at the end of July as the site it's on is being redeveloped. They have another two branches locally, so the company's it's self will remain.

They had a notice up outside today (although they were closed due to a trip) that said any July invoices (which were distributed mid June) need to have been paid by 3rd July as the accounts office is closing on this date. We were on holiday, and forgot etc so was going to give then a cheque today - which isn't usually a problem. Anyway the notice finnished with a statement that any invoices not paid by 3rd July will be passed onto Debt Recovery!!

Surely they're not allowed to do this? Doesn't an invoice need to be unpaid for a certain amount of time before it's passed to debt recovery?? These invoices have only been with the parents for threeish weeks! It may just be an empty threat for those who are rubbish at paying - but I don't really think it's a necessary threat.

Please tell me if they're allowed to do this.

nametaken Tue 07-Jul-09 16:18:37

Of course they're allowed to pass their unpaid debts on to a debt recovery company. Did you think they should just let people off then, if they don't pay?

littlerach Tue 07-Jul-09 16:21:35

I htink you need to speak ot the treasurere and perhaps just pay now (or tomorrow).

if they'll let you.

Speaking from experience, it is really frustrating when parents don't pay on time, especially if you have given adequate time. Most invoices are similar ecah term. Plus usually the treasurer is a volunteer.

Did you try and pay today, or was it impossible due to trip?

Lulumama Tue 07-Jul-09 16:23:47

i maigne that the need it all paying before the end of the academic year

i imaigne there were T&Cs that would say fees had to be paid by such a date

i think 3 weeks is long enough notice for an invoice to be paid when it is an amoutb you have paid for the last few months

am sure if you speak to them and pay tomorrow they will smooth things over

and even if it is passed on, all you need to do is pay immedaitely

MrsBish Tue 07-Jul-09 17:13:04

Dont worry, I have no problem with paying. I usually pay as soon as I get the invoice, just this month it was missed. And the amount is always different.

The place was completely closed today, so no possibility to pay.

Will give them a call tomorrow. Just thought it was a bit strong, but suppose it may be aimed more at those who repeatedly pay late.

HerHonesty Wed 08-Jul-09 18:27:50

depends on what your contract says - they cant change the t's and c's without your agreement.

Tamarto Wed 08-Jul-09 18:29:10

No they are not, they have to make repeated attempts to recoup the money before passing it on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now