Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Talking about splitting up - anyone know anything about morgage intrest benefit?

(11 Posts)
AlotToSortOut Tue 07-Jul-09 11:22:57

DH currently is the only earner and pays everything. If we do split, he will move out. Would I be entitled to help with the inrest part of the mortgage? I know you have to wait a few months (?) and in this time DH is willing to pay it, but does it have to be unpaid for that period? I am unsure how I will survive - I cannot work or get JSA as I am not well (long term) and I haven't worked enough for income support (I think). I will try and get to CAB but it won't be for a while. Does DH have to take his name off the mortgage? A soon as he does, does that mean he has no claim over the house? Thanks, I haven't a clue what to expect.

amisuchabadmummy Tue 07-Jul-09 11:30:17

in a slightly different situation to you but when I went on to benefits I had to wait 34 weeks before they would pay the interest. Then they pay roughly what the base rate is and up to a maximum of interest on a 100,000 loan.

I think DH would have to take his name off the mortgage and you dont not receive it if the mortgage is being paid and up to date within the 34 weeks waiting period.

I would go to the Citizens Advice Bureau if I were you...

Not sure if that helps...

AlotToSortOut Tue 07-Jul-09 11:36:08

I think in 34 weeks the house would be repossessed Thanks anyway

trixymalixy Tue 07-Jul-09 13:52:03

I don't think this will work for you. If you can't work then there's no way the mortgage company will let you take the mortgage on on your own.

AlotToSortOut Tue 07-Jul-09 14:33:07

Really? I just presumed Dhs name could just come off it.

MelonCauli Tue 07-Jul-09 14:36:57

but how are you going to pay the mortgage? No mortgage company will lend if you don't earn. You have 2 options - sell the house or get a job to pay the mortgage. Or your dh could keep paying. The mortgage company is not going to let him take his name off without repaying the loan

Katelyn Tue 07-Jul-09 14:41:11

No, the Mortgage company will not allow his name to come off if you are the only other name on there and you are not working.

Why would they do that - if they know that you cannot repay them?

So Sorry to hear of your news.

AlotToSortOut Tue 07-Jul-09 14:48:23

Oh sorry, I didn't know that. If DH paid the mortgage would it effect other benefits ie. council tax etc? Would it be classed as income? It'll be a few years before I can take on all the bills. I take it you cannot get the mortgage intrest paid if Dh stays on the mortgage, doesn't live here etc. but it working? Thanks

amisuchabadmummy Tue 07-Jul-09 15:11:24

No you cant I dont think.

Can you sell up and downsize?

AlotToSortOut Tue 07-Jul-09 17:52:46

I don't think you could downsize from this place wink I will have to talk through options with DH and CAB, thanks

dollyshoes Thu 09-Jul-09 16:09:52

Dont panick, ive just gone through this and its managable.
They will pay half the interest a lot sooner than 32 weeks, and the full amount after a certain time. Doesnt matter if its paid or not in regrds to interest payments from the dwp.

If you cant work due to illness you,ll probably receive sickness benefit and tax credits for your children.Any maintenance you receive directly from your husband will be classed as income so if he pays it directly to the mortgage company your ok.
I would make an apointment with the single parent adviser at the jobcentre, everything was sorted out for me in one visit, theyre very good.

I dont see why your husband would have to take his name off the mortgage, that side of things would probably be sorted out if you divorced.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: