Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

do i need to send sister with some sort of parental responsibility document, if she is taking ds abroad with her?

(11 Posts)
stitchtime Sat 04-Jul-09 20:50:58

or am i making more problems where none exist? she is taking ds1 abroad with her, to see our parents... will she need something saying she has parental responsibiliyt or will it be ok?

Feelingoptimistic Sat 04-Jul-09 22:54:32

No, I think it should be fine. As far as I understand, the fact that your sister will have his passport is taken to be proof that she has authorisation to do that. My mum has travelled overseas with my DD without any problem. (but I could be wrong !)

JeMeSouviens Sat 04-Jul-09 23:00:36

Best write a letter for her to present at immigration should she be asked. My MIL brought DHs' DD for a visit and even though they have the same last name, she was asked for proof it was ok by the parent.

3littlefrogs Sat 04-Jul-09 23:15:56

No - you definitely need a letter if she is under 18. We have always needed one for my nephew when we take him with us - even when he was 16. They sometimes make a copy of it when you check in when you are leaving the UK.

risingstar Sat 04-Jul-09 23:17:22

must admit to being a bit anal- but I always leave a document stating that my mum has full parental rights to make decisions in our absence, if me and hubby go abroad.

This is just in case of medical emergencies etc so that there is no question over giving consent etc.

I am a bit mad about things like this though!

serenity Sat 04-Jul-09 23:18:20

Depends where she's taking them. When DSis took the DSs to France a couple of years ago she had to take a specific form (which we downloaded from a link from the embassy's website) Check with the embassy/consulate and see what they want.

kickassangel Sat 04-Jul-09 23:36:41

Yes, they may need something. Each country is different. The USA has been known to turn people back at the border, but it is advised, not necessary. Some countries (Brazil, I think, being one) have a legal requirement for documentation. Find out & get it sorted.

When I travel with dd, but not dh, I have a letter from him, endorsed by a 'notary' (like a teacher signing a passport photo) to say she can travel with me, and I'm her MOTHER, but could still, in theory, be refused the right to travel if anyone was suspicious. And yes, immigration, did ask questions, though didn't demand paperwork.

stitchtime Sun 05-Jul-09 10:41:40

oh dear.....
thank you all for that, i will make sure i get a letter like that done. you feel a teacher will be good enough? maybe i get get his old primary head to sign it for me. he is 12

kickassangel Mon 06-Jul-09 02:11:43

It is up to the country they're entering! Find out what travel advice is for the destination country (and any others they have to travel through, if any).

Even if there's no official requirement, a witnessed letter is prob a good idea, then you can all be annoyed when it's not needed!

inscotland Mon 06-Jul-09 12:26:39

For australia you need to have a form completed and witnessed by a solicito.

LovelyRitaMeterMaid Mon 06-Jul-09 12:28:15

When I got back to England from Germany yesterday, there were signs at passport control saying you needed to tell someone if you were travelling with a child that wasn't your own.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: