Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

From single parenthood to coupledom - what do we need to think about?

(4 Posts)
CapricaSix Fri 03-Jul-09 20:41:05

We are planning to take the plunge and rent somewhere together in a few months. (Ideally a 2 bed house with a garden hmm).

We earn £25k between us and live in London. My child care costs are going to reduce to only £25 pwk on average. (yay )

Are we going to manage?? Will we get any tax credits & housing benefit perchance? I can't see us coping without help.

And apart from money, is there anything else we need to consider?

HappyMummyOfOne Sat 04-Jul-09 10:24:21

You'll get basic tax credits of £42 a month approx (unless you have a baby under 1 or more than 2 children).

HB varies dependent upon earnings and the amount of rent. You wouldn't qualify in many areas as your joint salary is over the limit but you may qualify in london due to housing costs. The local council will be able to advise if you qualify.

HappyMummyOfOne Sat 04-Jul-09 10:24:38

You'll get basic tax credits of £42 a month approx (unless you have a baby under 1 or more than 2 children).

HB varies dependent upon earnings and the amount of rent. You wouldn't qualify in many areas as your joint salary is over the limit but you may qualify in london due to housing costs. The local council will be able to advise if you qualify.

CapricaSix Sat 04-Jul-09 13:26:27

Thanks. I'm in Bromley, right on the border of the Inner London/Outer London thingy, so more likely to be eligible for HB in the more expensive part by the looks of it! However, looking around, it doesn't seem to be much more expensive, if at all, just over the border so tbh it looks like we'd be better off finding somewhere there in the hope of claiming HB!
It's all very strange.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now