Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax credits question

(8 Posts)
llareggub Fri 03-Jul-09 00:01:28

Help!

DH and I are locked into a frantic budgeting situation after he lost his job today. He resigned but to be honest if he hadn't resigned he would have been dismissed so a compromise was reached.

Luckily he has his own business as well so has some self-employed earnings so with my SMP we are not totally destitute yet. I spoke to the Tax Credits people and it seems we will qualify for Tax Credits but what I didn't ask was if we'd be able to get them due to his resignation.

Somewhere in the depths of my mind I seem to think that we won't be able to claim for 6 weeks as he resigned. Is this right? I did set out our circumstances quite clearly but they didn't ask me why he was losing his job. I do have someone ringing me next Wednesday to help with the form but I could do with the answer before then if possible.

UndertheBoredwalk Fri 03-Jul-09 00:03:58

No makes no difference for tax credits, I think those rules only apply if you were to be claiming income support or job seekers allowance

(was TC officer)

hth

UndertheBoredwalk Fri 03-Jul-09 00:04:47

Can also help with form if you want to get it done before next Wed if you like

llareggub Fri 03-Jul-09 00:08:54

Wow! Thanks for the very quick and positive response. Sadly we have not got the form yet as I only spoke to them on Wednesday so it hasn't got here. But it is very kind and generous of you to offer.

I very nearly turned down the offer of help when they offered it but then remembered what I mess I made of the child benefit form a few weeks ago in my addled post-partum brain...

UndertheBoredwalk Fri 03-Jul-09 00:13:13

Tc form can be an absolute nightmare, you actually get a booklet about 10 times the length of the form, just to explain how to fill the bloody thing in! lol
Spent a LOT of my time on the phone there talking people through filling them in. Just give me a shout if you need any help or have any more Q's will help if I can

LeninGrad Fri 03-Jul-09 00:22:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

UndertheBoredwalk Fri 03-Jul-09 00:26:09

Yes definitely don't forget the £100 allowance if they haven't already told you about that/factored it in. They do seem on the whole pretty crap at remembering to tell people about that angry

llareggub Fri 03-Jul-09 00:33:03

No, they did tell me about that. In fact it was the first thing they told me. Will definitely keep track of earnings, as DH's will fluctuate as he gets his business up and running. <crosses fingers>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now