Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

quick question re credit card cloning

(7 Posts)
onepieceofcremeegg Thu 02-Jul-09 10:06:29

I have done a quick search on this as I am sure it has been asked before, but couldn't seem to get an answer.

My credit card has been cloned (thankfully only small amounts initially, I understand they tend to do this to check the card is still valid)

Fortunately the credit card company and I noticed straight away (I was alerted by a spam type e-mail from a US company thanking me for my order hmm).

Obviously the card has been cut up.

What I need to know is, is it safe to use the new one on my pc/laptop? (I am a bit clueless). Could they be "watching" me to see if I buy more stuff - and clone it again straight away? Or was it a one off when I used a particular website?

whispywhisp Thu 02-Jul-09 11:36:03

This happened to me a few months ago. A guy very kindly withdrew some cash on my card in New York.

The credit card rang us and queried it with us and obviously agreed it wasn't us on a spending spree!

They sent us a new card straight away and we were able to continue with it including using it on a laptop etc....

We were told at the time it was a complete one-off and because I'd used the old cloned card on a particular website when buying something it got cloned (Asda Direct actually)....I don't think these cloners watch cards..once they know the card has been cancelled they go on to the next unfortunate person and hopefully leave you alone.

rubyslippers Thu 02-Jul-09 11:37:13

have you been given a new CC number?

whispywhisp Thu 02-Jul-09 11:39:39

Hi ruby - I think she'll have had a new card sent to her.

rubyslippers Thu 02-Jul-09 11:40:37

in that case your advice is spot on ...

has happened to us so many times we stopped keeping track and ended up changing bank accounts and cc providers

CoffeeCrazedMama Thu 02-Jul-09 11:49:30

Not a bad idea though to get your pc swept for spyware - I am sure this was the reason my old card got cloned. Someone tried to buy something from a website dd had just browsed but from which we hadn't bought anything. I was fairly sure they were buying from there because they thought it was part of a spending pattern for me so the credit card company would be slower to pick up.

onepieceofcremeegg Thu 02-Jul-09 19:31:21

Thanks so much for all of your advice. Yes, will be getting a new card and new number but it will take 7-10 working days.

I would have replied earlier but have been out shopping in rl as I have been temporarily put off internet shopping.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now