Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

curious - how do they know? tax credits

(12 Posts)
wannabe10 Wed 01-Jul-09 17:02:36

Hi this is more a curious question really!
When you phone tax credits with your years salary how do they know that's what you got?
Do they check every one?
Just wondered!

BreevandercampLGJ Wed 01-Jul-09 17:06:02

I presume all the different departments "talk" to each other.

whyme2 Sun 05-Jul-09 11:37:59

You give them your employer's code and they can check through the tax office. I don't think they check straighaway though - at the end of the next tax year from what I understand (friend who works there)

CarGirl Sun 05-Jul-09 11:47:03

I once got a queried because I had declared less than I had earnt but that was because I had received maternity pay and you are supposed to deduct the maternity allowance part which I think for CTC purposes then was £2,600.

CarGirl Sun 05-Jul-09 11:47:04

I once got a queried because I had declared less than I had earnt but that was because I had received maternity pay and you are supposed to deduct the maternity allowance part which I think for CTC purposes then was £2,600.

elvislives Sun 05-Jul-09 15:02:51

If you deliberately give them the wrong figure and you are found out you can be prosecuted. It isn't just a case of paying back what you've had too much and that's the end of it. Depends on the situation but people cheating tax credits have been imprisoned.

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Sun 05-Jul-09 15:06:03

What if you are self employed and can't remember how much you earned last year?? blush

CarGirl Sun 05-Jul-09 21:25:33

have you not kept a record of what you declared to the IR? Presumably you could phone them up and ask?

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Sun 05-Jul-09 21:59:01

I wrote it down on a bit of paper when I did all the calculations and filled in the self assessment form. Can I find the bugger? Nope! sad

midlandsmumof4 Mon 06-Jul-09 01:37:49

I wonder if they actually check anything. My youngest is 20 this year and both my husband & I have received packs for the last 4 years telling us we aren't entitled to claim anything. We haven't tried to btw smile.

mixformax Mon 06-Jul-09 23:15:04

Fluffy bunny, I couldn't find my P60 one year (similar situation) and I phoned the tax office that dealt with my employer's address. They tracked me down thru NI number and very helpful lady told me the necessary info over the phone and also sent it thru the post. v.impressed!

FAQinglovely Mon 06-Jul-09 23:40:51

well actually just because you're children are 20 doesn't mean that you can't qualify for tax credits. My parents get tax credits - and I'm their youngest at 30yrs old grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now