Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

What does "3 working days" mean for bank payments?

(6 Posts)
tatt Wed 01-Jul-09 13:54:03

Does it include the day you authorise payment or not? So would a payment requested on a Monday normally reach the recepient on Wednesday, Thursday or Friday?

The bank advertise a "faster payments" service but say they couldn't use it.

inscotland Wed 01-Jul-09 14:02:38

If you complete the transaction on a Monday the 3 working days is Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

tatt Wed 01-Jul-09 15:43:45

sorry - don't understand "complete the transaction". I authorised the payment on Monday (before 10 a.m) but they tell me it wasn't processed until Tuesday, which is when it shows on my statement. So when will it be in the recipients account?

Parmageddon Wed 01-Jul-09 16:00:14

I think this is different between individuals and business accounts. For businesses, a standard 3 day payment authorised on the Monday would arrive on the Wednesday.

For individuals, it may depend on the banks involved. If the same bank, it should arrive the same day. I would imagine it would arrive with your recipient on Thursday, but can you ask them (if you can get through to a person!) to explain why they took so long to process it?

tatt Wed 01-Jul-09 17:56:10

I've asked - but getting a straight answer takes several attempts as they just tend to say that's the way it is. I think I feel a formal complaint coming on as that has been the only way to get a straight answer before. This is causing me a lot of aggravation. In fact I may change banks as I'm tired of people who seem incapable of answering a question.

tatt Fri 03-Jul-09 10:44:12

Never did get a straight answer. Fortunately the money got there on time but they now have a complaint about useless customer service and I'll probably change bank.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now