Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Unemployment insurance and benefit calculations

(8 Posts)
woodenchair Wed 01-Jul-09 12:37:19

Both dp and I are in IT and are starting to feel a little vulnerable in the current climate (well he is I'm a bit more relaxed).

does anyone know of any good insurance providers?

Also is there a website that tells me how much in benefits I/we would be entitled to if we were make redundant.

dilemma456 Wed 01-Jul-09 14:34:55

Message withdrawn

woodenchair Wed 01-Jul-09 19:04:38

Thanks! I'll have a look

Tamarto Wed 01-Jul-09 19:09:07

Thing to remember - if you get insurance any benefits will be reduced by the amount of insurance you have that is above the cost of your mortgage.

EG.

Mortgage = £500
Insurance payout = £1000

your benefits would be reduced by £500

Usually you can only claim if you have been with them for x amount of months before redundancy.

trixymalixy Wed 01-Jul-09 22:14:38

Whatever you do don't get it through the post office.

DH is also in IT and we took out insurance through the PO. Just as we reached the qualification period they then reduced the maximum insured amount, increased the premiums and increased the waiting period. We were fuming.

woodenchair Fri 03-Jul-09 08:28:11

Thanks for that trixy. dp looked at one last november and the premium was £33 back then, he looked yesterday and it's gone up to £60! I don't trust many policy makers not to either go bust or to change the terms (in their favour).

You think you'd be safe with the post office though wouldn't you!

trixymalixy Fri 03-Jul-09 21:33:57

Ha, yes or so we thought!

They have all put their premiums up recently which isn't really a surprise, and tbh if it was just the premiums going up I wouldn't be bothered.

It was the reduction in the insured amount that p**ed me off.

BodenGroupie Sat 04-Jul-09 11:26:47

I got ours through the moneysavingexpert website - some very good advice on which policy to go for, much cheaper than our lender's insurance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now