Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

when one company goes bust and reuses to accept liabilty for faults( its more interesting than it sounds)

(16 Posts)
IkeaSnake Mon 29-Jun-09 17:44:45

faulty consveratory - windoes keep shattering. Is 5 years plus old so we think it has finanlly accepted it was badly put in.
Company has changed hands several times but still trade on the old name ( with a slight addition to ti)

they say they WONT accept liability.
what can we do.

IkeaSnake Mon 29-Jun-09 18:08:56

3littlefrogs Mon 29-Jun-09 18:13:15

Have you spoken to trading standards?

ABetaDad Mon 29-Jun-09 18:38:14

If the old company was a Ltd company and was formally closed down but sold on its trade name before hand then there is nothing you can do. The company that sold you the conservatory no longer exists - hence no liability.

A common ploy in the bulding and contracting industry to dump past liabilities.

IkeaSnake Mon 29-Jun-09 18:47:53

it was ltd

IkeaSnake Mon 29-Jun-09 18:50:40

Shit. Its really crap isnt it. insurance wont pay..

ABetaDad Mon 29-Jun-09 18:56:26

You can look it up for free on the Companies House web site

Just type in its name in the box and see if it comes up as currently trading or Dissolved or In Administration.

After a while the name is removed completely from the register so it may not even be there any more.

IkeaSnake Mon 29-Jun-09 19:02:51

yes dissolved

themoon Mon 29-Jun-09 19:09:23

You've got no hope... we had the same thing at our previous house... conservatory put in by Portland. It was only 6 years old and the roof panels were slipping apart and a couple of panes just went 'ping' and cracked.

IkeaSnake Mon 29-Jun-09 19:10:25

WHYWHYWHY
ah and what hapeend
what did you do

IkeaSnake Mon 29-Jun-09 19:11:10

have a guarantee from the glass manufactureres - conservaglass..

IkeaSnake Mon 29-Jun-09 19:15:55

THEMOON

tell all

snigger Mon 29-Jun-09 19:19:38

Find some media types on MN and exploit them mercilessly - try the whole Lynn Faulds-Wood type attack? (Without the sad-faced "We mourn our lost sunlight" photos, obviously)

Not a very controlled or predictable approach, but I'm clueless re consumer law, didn't know the ltd co. clause even existed.

Bit of a stinker if insurance won't pay - perhaps press them a bit more? Is there an iron-clad reason for them not to cover damage?

themoon Mon 29-Jun-09 19:21:28

Portland put it up mid90s. Problems from outset.. leaked etc. They came back halfheartedly and fixed it... took bloody ages and around 10 phone calls for each fix.

Then we rang about the roof 6 years down the line... number was unobtainable.

Went into Dolphin bathroom shop in town coz they are part of same company. got told that Portland no longer existed... guarantee useless etc.

We found a local ish smll company to come fix panes and roof.

~Then we moved house.

IkeaSnake Mon 29-Jun-09 19:22:00

thanks.
its a hazard tbh.

themoon Mon 29-Jun-09 19:24:25

Since i moved, my old neighbour has told me that new people in my house are having to have £2,000 worth of underpinning done to stop conservatory falling over! Plus they have had to have a whole new roof on it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now