Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

About to embark on a boat share - has anyone any helpful suggestions for an agreement?

(11 Posts)
Katymac Sun 28-Jun-09 09:48:28

DD has a mirror dinghy she can't sail because she is too small

I can't sell it as it is a family heirloom & I can't maintain it as I'm lazy I have too much to do.

So in my ideal world I would like:

Him to maintain & sail it for 2-4 years and then we can look at it again & see if DD is big enough to sail it by then
I'll pay for all the 'kit' needed unless it is something he broke rather than just wear & tear

Does that work or is it completely impractical?

nannyL Sun 28-Jun-09 10:47:37

down here loads of families boat share (I live by the sea).

also who will pay for dingy park / harbour dues (if they apply)

if its a friend i assume you will just agree and get on with it as opposed to having a contract?

nannyL Sun 28-Jun-09 10:49:29

also we used to have a mirror... i dont think there is much kit that needs replacing... you probably have it all already!

the only thing i can think of that we got new each year was a big "car wash" sponge which cost about 99p!

Katymac Sun 28-Jun-09 10:57:49

It's a wooden mirror so it will need a fair amount of maintenance - which is why we can't keep it

nannyL Sun 28-Jun-09 13:33:47

we had a wooden mirror....

i remember my dad having to sand paint and varnish it! but i dont think he did it every year.

Katymac Sun 28-Jun-09 14:24:02

No I agree not every year - but it's been 4 yrs since we did it hmm & it will rot on it's trolley if we aren't careful

LadyGlencoraPalliser Sun 28-Jun-09 15:07:12

How old is DD? Will she be able to look after it herself soon? I bought a wooden Mirror when I was 14 and used to do the maintenance myself - I loved painting and varnishing.

Katymac Sun 28-Jun-09 15:37:49

SHe is 11 - which is why I am thinking between 2 & 4 yrs tbh

And once she can do the 'grunt' work my Dad will supervise - but he can't do the heavy work any more (back surgery 2 yrs ago)

Katymac Sun 28-Jun-09 20:39:54

Bump

yours2share Mon 29-Jun-09 12:14:49

These two pages should give you all the info you need and more.

www.yours2share.com/fractional-info/fractional-ownership-and-rent-1.shtml

www.yours2share.com/articles/some-thoughts-on-boat-share-syndicates.shtml

I suggest that you have a written agreement regardless of the value of the boat. There are some tempaltes available here:

www.yours2share.com/fractional-info/legal.shtml

but if this seems like overkill, just write down what you've agreed for the issues raised in the first link above and both sign it.

Most importantly spend time at the outset discussing exactly how the arrangement will work and work through all the what ifs.

Katymac Mon 29-Jun-09 21:18:40

Gulp.....that's a lot of stuff - but thanks I will read (when my life gets calmer)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now