Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

why are higher earners living in housing association houses? is there a way to get them out!

(15 Posts)
annoyed2410 Sat 27-Jun-09 21:59:45

hi, I'm really annoyed that my next door neighbours are not only are horrible people but also make around £1000 a week and live in a housing association house how is this fair? Everyone moved in at the same time 2 years ago in new build houses and my partner and i had to fight for our house with him making £900 a month and us having a 11 month old when we moved in. we have recently discovered through a freind that next door makes around £1000 a week with him being a scaffolder for 20 years and her working part time plus when they moved in there now 2 year old wasnt even born and she was working full time so made even more! how can this be fair to people waiting for houses? is there away to get them out they are manipulative but they make sure there's nothing you can complain about like going in a 5 to 11 after having loud conversations in the garden! please say there's someone i can report the fact they make far to much to be entitled to the house they're in and let a family who are in need have a house instead

catinthehat2 Sat 27-Jun-09 22:12:07

ahahahahahahha!

IotasCat Sat 27-Jun-09 22:15:34

Ask Baroness uddin

MrsJamesMartin Sat 27-Jun-09 22:16:54

How do you know they actually do make this amount of money? What is the qualifying income to be allocated housing through the council or housing association?
If he's self employed then there are ways around no appearing to not actually "earn" as much money as he does.

HecatesTwopenceworth Sat 27-Jun-09 22:19:21

No. you can't. Once someone has a council/ha property then they only get evicted if they break the agreement - not paying the rent, wrecking the place, abusing neighbours etc etc. There's nothing in the tenancy about leaving if you earn over £X. I live in a HA property. If I won the lottery tonight I'd still be entitled to live in it. Once you're in, you're in. End of story.

At the end of the day, they applied like everyone else and were accepted. If you have proof that they lied on their application you could always inform the HA but I'm not sure what if anything they'd do.

Of course, the issue of whether someone, morally, should occupy a HA property when they are not in financial need of one is another thing altogether.

Katymac Sat 27-Jun-09 22:29:43

I was listening to a radio programme a while ao about this, I may be mis-quoting but:

There are two schools of thought on this

a) If you have your tenancy for life you could be thought to be apathetic and not try to improve your lot

b) If your tenancy is only while you qualify (due to low income) then you never aspire to earn more because you would lose your home

Not sure either is true tbh as each family/person is unique and assumptions should be made

And there was also a flip side about

a) being secure and therefore able to aspire to a better quality of life

b)??? can't remember

Sorry to tell only half a tale

AnitaBlake Sat 27-Jun-09 23:16:54

Wow, up here they don't ask about your earning to qualify for council/ha houses.... At least they never asked me, and if they'd applied the usual rules of benefits etc., I wouldn't have qualified cos I was a student.....

catinthehat2 Sat 27-Jun-09 23:23:24

No Anita you've missed the point. Your earnings have to be approved by your neighbours, not the council. Duh!

<wink>

conniedescending Sun 28-Jun-09 07:49:44

can't imagine a scaffolder will be earning a grand a week in this economic climate

seeker Sun 28-Jun-09 08:26:49

they're not.....<whispers>.... foreign...... too, are they?

annoyed2410 Sun 28-Jun-09 09:07:18

They're not foreign and i know he makes around 800 a week because my hubby's brother is also a scafolder but not as qualified and makes 750 a week! im in oxfordshire and we the building industry hasnt been hit to badly here they are out working everyday so cant see that there is any loss of income. I just think its so unfair that they managed to get a house over people who need one! with his ex ife he had a council house that they brought outright because they did the same thing lived there with loads left over and as soon as they had saved enough brought it at the discounted price! they're making everyone elses life hell round here but in a sly way that u cant complain about!

kentmumtj Sat 04-Jul-09 07:16:54

you say
'I just think its so unfair that they managed to get a house over people who need one!'

i do understand that you may not get on with your neighbours but to say they didnt need one is a little unfair.......did you know there circumstances before they got allocated this property? maybe they are black listed and couldnt get a mortgage or privatly rent........maybe its the fact hes self employed that has made it even more difficult.

i know its hard when we have a dislike to people to judge them but imo your the one who is being eaten up by all of this not them

perhaps if this is genuine and a lot of neighbours are being affected them the way to go would be down the complaints prcedure for everyone else and let the housing association deal with it

sarah293 Sat 04-Jul-09 08:19:30

Message withdrawn

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Sat 04-Jul-09 08:26:01

I wonder if it is more about the fact that you consider them horrible people that gets your goat? If they were lovely lovely people are got in with you great and lavished you with attention and gifts, I wonder if you would be so eager for them to move.

And given they are not your friends you don't actually know anything about their income, you are making presumptions on what your brother earns, not what they have said.

Stop being green eyed and be thankful you have a HA house yourself when there are indeed so many who need housing support.

HerHonesty Mon 06-Jul-09 14:11:11

its none of your business, tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now