Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Anyone been disqualified from driving due to accumulated points from speeding?

(12 Posts)
YanknCock Wed 24-Jun-09 20:05:41

I am stupid stupid stupid. Let's just get that out there right away. Last night, I got caught by the speed camera in the exact same place I was caught only just 6 months ago. Prior to that I had been caught twice, but the first time was offered a place on the '1st offender' course (so no points).

That means I've had 2 endorsements (with a 3rd expected) since March 2008. I'm not even holding out hope that last night's camera wasn't for me. I was going about 36, and that's what happened the last time.

I was confusing the system here with the system back in Wisconsin where 12 points in ONE year means you get a ban (and length of that ban varies). Have now looked it up and apparently here you can be banned for accumulating 12 points in FOUR years! I am an idiot for not knowing this, I know that. So once this third endorsement comes through, I have to make it until end of March 2012 with no speeding tickets, or I could have a driving ban.

Is it automatic, this ban due to accumulated points? How long would it be for? The direct.gov website seems quite vague, so wondering if anyone had experience of this.

DH is very very annoyed with me. I've only started getting tickets since we moved out of London and I've been driving so much more. It was so lovely to start over in a new country with a completely clean record, and I've totally ruined it all in the last 14 months.

I am going to start using the speed limiter thing on the car, but I am so doubtful I will make it another 2 years+9 months with no more tickets.

YanknCock Wed 24-Jun-09 20:06:58

oops, that should read 'Prior to that I had been caught three times' blush

me and my stupid lead foot.

sarah293 Wed 24-Jun-09 20:09:12

Message withdrawn

Hassled Wed 24-Jun-09 20:12:22

You weren't stupid not to have understood the scoring system here, you were stupid to have been speeding in the first place. You need to get some refresher driving lessons pronto. I'm finding it very hard to have any sympathy whatsoever - am with your DH.

YanknCock Wed 24-Jun-09 20:15:55

I actually did one of those courses after my first ticket, as a condition of not getting any penalty points. I was really good after that, but that one was back in London where the traffic is so bad you're lucky to ever get the car up to 30!

The course made me feel terrible and quite determined to sort it out, I came out crying and saying 'I don't want to kill children!' (because those are the stats they hit you with as far as your speed, even 2 mph over makes a difference). I wish I could get myself back in that mindset, it did work for a while.

YanknCock Wed 24-Jun-09 20:17:44

Let me be clear, I do NOT expect sympathy. But would like to hear from people who've been disqualified, how long it lasted, how definite it is that you get a ban from accumulated points.

IlanaK Wed 24-Jun-09 20:21:00

My uncle was in this situation last year. His ban was 6 months. He is back driving now.

Habbibu Wed 24-Jun-09 20:21:13

Might it not be wise for you NOT to find out, assume that you will get a ban, and work on that premise? If you can't trust yourself to drive safely by worrying about danger to others, then you certainly need another incentive. Or possibly a bus pass.

nannyL Wed 24-Jun-09 20:30:31

if you get 12 points you WILL be banned

as you should be.... if you cant drive safely then dont drive at all

DisturbinglySexuallyInactive Wed 24-Jun-09 20:37:32

I sympathise - always seem to have at least 9 points, although currently down to 6! Have helped self enormously by mainly using scabby old land rover defender and leaving the car for special occasions.

In past have had licence revoked on medical grounds but luckily never disqualified for speeding, hope you manage to keep yours.

SalVolatile Wed 24-Jun-09 22:26:40

Am a JP if that helps - get 12 points in total and you will receive a minimum 6 month 'totting' disqualification - no exceptions. That means you also need to be aware of other endorsable offences such as defective tyres, failure to obey traffic signs/signals etc and make sure you don't accumulate points that way either.

readyfornumber2and3 Thu 25-Jun-09 08:43:02

each set of 3 points will be active on your license for 3 years, if you have 12 ACTIVE points on your license then you will be banned.

DP went went through a stage of 9 points at all times because as soon as some "dropped off" he got caught again angry

The best was when he went to fetch me breakfast one morning and got caught doing 40 in a 30 zone and then tried to blame me as "I wouldnt have been there if it wasnt for you!" shock
so nothing to do with the fact you were going too fast then hmm wink

My mum is looking forward to DS 3rd Birthday (next week) as she got caught for the very 1st time (has been driving 28 years) bombing up the motorway to see him born (we lived 3 hours away at the time) the best part is she still missed it lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now