Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

How to minimise the damage already done?

(69 Posts)
dearme Fri 13-May-05 22:24:45

Our dog bit ds's friend in our garden. the friend's parents were amazingly good about it though the bite needed stitches and the whole thing was awful. We felt terrible about it but the friend's parents were very good about it and did not blame us. The thing is, although the wounds have healed well, it may be that the friend will need something extra done, in a few years mainly for aesthetic reasons. The parents have suggested we sign some sort of document now to accept responsibility to cover any medical treatment in the future. My dh refuses point blank... but I feel sorry for the parents and understand that they would like some kind of assurance for the future. I don't beleive that these people would abuse our intention to help them out but my DH feels that they should just trust us to pay up if and when the kid needs or wants any work on his scars.

I really don't want to fall out with them over this especially as the two kids are still good friends and have been thru a very frightening experience.

Any one got any comments on my idea:

We suggest that the parents see a plastic surgeon now who could discuss what, if anything would need to be done, if and when it proves to be necessary. And how much roughly, at today's prices it would cost.

We then pay half of that cost, now, on the understanding that if the kid needs or wants nothing done they will repay it to us... and if he does we will pay the other half. That way we all have to trust each other.

I feel that might be the only way to assure the parents of our good intentions, I trust them by the way.. although we don't know each other well.

Or am I being naive and stupid?

hercules Fri 13-May-05 22:26:23

Have you got household insurance? It may well be covered under this if you also have an extra bit (cant remember what it's called though) - legal protection of some sort.

aloha Fri 13-May-05 22:27:16

Have you got household or legal insurance? I think you might want to look at that.

rickman Fri 13-May-05 22:31:08

Message withdrawn

LGJ Fri 13-May-05 22:33:08

Oh Christ,

How I hate the way society is evolving.........

AP split my head open with a shovel when I was 6 maybe 7 , I get exczema to this day on that spot, should I track him down and sue him ??

GC wa supposed to be minding my DSis whilst on a swing all those years ago, she wasn't paying attention D Sis pitched forward and left her teeth mark in her tongue and it is still here to a lesser degree nearly 35 years later, should DS sue retropectively ??

What nonsensense..............

Sorry not trying to be unhelpful, just posting the differences twixt now and them

dearme Fri 13-May-05 22:33:56

the only insurance that would have done the trick was on a credit card and we didn't report the incident within the time limit. The money's not really the main problem, I think any further medical treatment would be pretty minor, but I can understand them wanting to keep that option open.

I can also understand them wanting something signed, just so they feel more secure. But Dh won't hear of it, (which makes me furious actually but that's another story) I feel so sad and sorry that this has happened that I don't know if I'm being practical or just emotional!

hercules Fri 13-May-05 22:34:52

How would credit card insurance do this? Have you got contents insurance?

LGJ Fri 13-May-05 22:35:05

I am with your DH, sorry but I am.

hercules Fri 13-May-05 22:36:00

If I were your friend I wouldnt ask for this although I wouldnt react the same way your dh has if they asked me. I dont know what I'd do.

dearme Fri 13-May-05 22:38:01

It's called third party liability or civil responsibility or something. It basically covers you for any accidents that might happen to somebody else in your home, exactly this sort of case actually. Dh says that if we had gone thru the insurance, the insurance co would never let us sign anything admitting responsibility.

hercules Fri 13-May-05 22:39:16

No, that is because it is for them to decide as it is their money not yours. Same as in a car accident- it is not your place to admit or deny liability and makes no difference if you do anyway as it is your insurers to decide.

hercules Fri 13-May-05 22:39:55

I guess if you were to look at it morally it would depend on how much of a risk this dog was in the first place.

dearme Fri 13-May-05 22:40:23

sorry, what i mean is that it's an insurance provided by the credit card company... but seeing as we can't use it, its irrelevant!

hunkermunker Fri 13-May-05 22:40:40

What has happened to the dog?

assumedname Fri 13-May-05 22:43:48

Why did the dog bite your ds's friend?

kid Fri 13-May-05 22:44:45

What type of dog is it that you have?

hercules Fri 13-May-05 22:46:07

I got bitten when i was 13 by a neighbours dog. I still have the scar 14 years later. hmmmmm

mychildgotbitbyadog Fri 13-May-05 22:46:34

What has happened to the dog

hercules Fri 13-May-05 22:46:49

Yes, do tell.

Caligula Fri 13-May-05 22:46:56

Surely any treatment could be done on the NHS? My DD split her lip and had an almost purely cosmetic op to ensure she didn't scar (it would have been a tiny scar, but they took it seriously enough to operate).

hercules Fri 13-May-05 22:47:12

Are you my mum?

mychildgotbitbyadog Fri 13-May-05 22:48:45

The dog? What has happened to the dog? Is it still around?

childbitingdog Fri 13-May-05 22:49:52

Woof, Woof.

Woof.

dearme Fri 13-May-05 22:51:46

dog is 2yr old golden retriever we've had since he was a puppy. He's a family dog, not a guard dog, has grown up with our 3 kids and has been around at countless kids' parties. They were not teasing him but we think that something in the nature of the rough and tumble games they were playing caused him to bite.

mychildgotbitbyadog Fri 13-May-05 22:51:55

Okay, so we're now making fun of a child being bitten by a dog . My son almost lost an eye, through being bitten by a dog and money was the last thing on my mind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now