Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Do Apple charge to condemn an item for insurance purposes?

(5 Posts)
PavlovtheForgetfulCat Tue 23-Jun-09 21:34:29

DH's Ipod touch got hit by a wave and promptly died when we were away for the weekend. Travel insurance will cover it, but they want to have evidence it is broken beyond repair first.

We called local Apple franchise, they will do it for £25 and it will take 2 weeks (not that there is a rush as he is using mine - but not to the beach I might add).

DH has not called Apple yet and probably wont as he thinks they will charge too. Will they? And if so how much?

littlelamb Tue 23-Jun-09 21:40:16

It might be worth asking Apple if they'll do a straight exchange. Many moons ago I dropped my first ipod down the toilet blush I sent it back for repair and they just gave me a new one, I didn't even have to pay for postage. I did buy direct from Apple though, I don't know what would happen if you'd bought from another retailer

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Tue 23-Jun-09 21:43:40

littlelamb - what you mean swap and tell the insurance co to sort it with apple? It was not in warranty. I did purchase it direct from Apple, but we thought it would be easier to go to local franchise in Plymouth rather than drive to Exeter which will cost, then pay money to them, then pay the excess. But if it is free (or if they will swap it) it is worth doing.

littlelamb Tue 23-Jun-09 21:48:00

Ah no, I didn't realise it wasn't in warranty. I'm not sure they would exchange it in that case. I dropped mine the first day I had it blush Have you tried wrapping it in a towel and putting it on a radiator? I've learnt my lesson with ipods now though- they are beautiful things but I was shocked with the ammount they wanted to charge to put a new battery in mine. They are essentially disposable hmm If you can sort it out with the insurance company, I would buy a much higher spec one for the same amount

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Tue 23-Jun-09 21:52:05

littlelamb - dh did not even turn it on for 3 weeks. In the hope it might work again, but no. It got quite wet, and sandy as we were sat down and it was on the throw, and the wave came from out of nowhere (well clearly from the sea, but we were not expecting it, rather than 'we were sitting in a field minding our own business grin)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now