Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Making a Will - advice on hubbys children from previous

(14 Posts)
dontdillydally Tue 23-Jun-09 20:27:29

We are married and have one ds age 4yrs. The house is in my name only.

We need to make a will.

My husband has 3 children - one from a previous relationship (over 18 yrs ago) and 2 from his ex wife (age's 12 and 14).

In our will how do we and can we ensure all our assets go to our DS.

Will it be complicated due to his other children?

whomovedmychocolate Tue 23-Jun-09 20:29:27

You can leave the house to your DS with the proviso that your DH can live in it till he dies. Or you can leave it to your DH and ask him to write a will where he leaves it to your DS.

Tis not necessarily complicated.

dontdillydally Tue 23-Jun-09 20:32:23

2nd option sounds fair.

HecatesTwopenceworth Tue 23-Jun-09 20:36:46

Doesn't he want to leave anything at all to his other children? Or is it just your house that you are trying to protect?

dontdillydally Tue 23-Jun-09 20:51:12

He took nothing when his divorce went through and transfered savings and house into wifes name - he sees this as their inheritence as house was literally paid for

Flibbertyjibbet Tue 23-Jun-09 20:53:25

But what about the other child from the earlier relationship? Does he not want to leave that child anything either?

Hulababy Tue 23-Jun-09 20:54:54

Not necessarily complicated but I would go and see a private client solicitor who speciailses in wills and probate to ensure it is drawn up properly.

dontdillydally Tue 23-Jun-09 20:55:49

Again a trust fund was/is set up for him...gosh you sound like the gestarpo!!!

gomez Tue 23-Jun-09 20:57:46

Where about in the UK are you as succession law is different in Scotland?

Hulababy Tue 23-Jun-09 20:59:01

These questions are all things a solicitor will ask you anyway, amongst many other questions and what if scenarios.

PortAndLemon Tue 23-Jun-09 21:03:23

You really need to see a solicitor for this. It won't be difficult for you to do what you want but (for example) he/she is likely to want to explore and document what provision your DH has made for his other children -- this can make it less likely that the will can be successfully challenged.

PortAndLemon Tue 23-Jun-09 21:03:56

(unless you're in Scotland, in which case, as gomez says, the rules are different)

Flibbertyjibbet Tue 23-Jun-09 21:12:50

No, not gestapo. You just didn't mention him.

I like full information in an opening post grin

Agree with others this is a job for a specialist solicitor.

dietqueen Tue 23-Jun-09 21:35:03

ok will get onto it. Yes of course I want to safeguard my/our child's future. Will get onto it next week

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now