Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

I need a family lawyer. Where do I start?

(7 Posts)
nanog Fri 19-Jun-09 08:12:41

I need to get some legal advice on where I stand if I decide to divorce DH under grounds of unreasonable behaviour.

I'd prefer to go on reccomendation of a lawyer, but I don't have any family or friends that I can ask, as they're all happily married.

I live in the West Midlands area. I'd appreciate it if someone on MN could suggest someone I could talk to for an initial consultation. Thanks

mumoverseas Fri 19-Jun-09 08:23:03

sorry about your relationship problems
Don't know any family lawyers in your area but I would advise you to consult a family lawyer who is a member of Resolution (look in yellow pages or contact Law Society) Resolution members sign up to agree to resolve things amicably, often via mediation so it is a lot less painless a process.
Good luck

nanog Fri 19-Jun-09 08:28:54

Thank you mumoverseas. That is a good place to start.

I don't want to do anything drastic just yet, but getting advice is good, even if I decide not to go ahead with anything just now.

mumoverseas Fri 19-Jun-09 12:13:25

also, if you are not working or on low income you may be eligible for public funding (legal aid) so I'd recommend looking for a firm with a legal aid franchise

nanog Fri 19-Jun-09 20:01:48

I work full time and earning just under 30k, so I don't think I'd qualify for legal aid. How much does a standard family lawyer cost? is it an hourly rate?

mumoverseas Fri 19-Jun-09 21:52:52

No, you won't be eligible unfortunately.
It varies from area to area and also depending on the seniority of the lawyer within the firm, ie a newly qualified will be far cheaper than a senior partner.
I used to work in Surrey and 5 years ago charged £150 ph but my boss, a partner in the firm charged around £180. There tends to be an actual hourly rate, ie for attendances in person and also work being done on file and long telephone calls etc and then a rate per letter (in and out) and short telephone calls. (often 10% of hourly rate) You should therefore shop around a bit and compare costs.

Also, bear in mind that if you are petitioning on your husbands unreasonable behaviour then it is an option for you to seek an order for costs against him which is quite standard on behaviour or adultery petitions. You may therefore be able to recover some costs from him, in particular, the court fees.

theoriginalmummypoppins Sun 21-Jun-09 06:51:15

i am a solicitor in a firm in worcestershire. we have a big family law team.

Would you like contact details.?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: