Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Noisy Rabbit

(46 Posts)
islandofsodor Thu 18-Jun-09 22:46:41

Last year one of our neighbours (our garden backs onto his road) came round and told us that he had heard a lot of noise in the night and it was some stray dogs trying to break down our fence to get to the rabbit. We moved the hutch from the end of the garden to just outside our bedroom window so further from his house.

He then came around one morning at 7.30am just as we were getting up and the kids ready for school complaining that they had been kept awake all week due to her thumping. He had been round at 4am but couldn't wake us up (though the kids were up really early that morning). He wasn't happy.

That weekend we were away so mil came round and she actually slept in the conservatory right next to the hutch and didn;t hear anything.

I occasionally hear the odd thump and scuttle if womething disturbs her (like me going out to the the shed last thing at night) or someone being around on the car park that backs onto that part of the garden. However I mostly just hear noise from the birds or car engines on the next road or another neighbours flagpole you know.

Anyway he came round again yesterday complaining and demanding we do something about it. He said that every time he hears her he will come round and knock us up. He suggested putting her hutch inside the shed!

What can we do? We have checked with our next door neighbour and next door but one neighbour and they don't hear a thing.

fruitshootsandheaves Thu 18-Jun-09 22:48:10

oh I thought this was going to be a thread about different sort of rabbit and you were worried it would wake people during use IYKWIM
sorry, dirty mind, no help

fruitshootsandheaves Thu 18-Jun-09 22:49:58

could you put her indoors for a couple of nights to see if it really is her thats making the noise?

mrsmaidamess Thu 18-Jun-09 22:50:40

I've never heard of a rabbit making that much noise before. Ours only thumps when she's really scared and that happens once in a blue moon. Are there foxes in your garden?

bigstripeytiger Thu 18-Jun-09 22:53:35

Sounds a bit weird. You wouldnt expect a rabbit to make that much noise.
I agree with putting the rabbit inside for a bit, and then if the neighbour complains you can tell him it must be something else.

islandofsodor Thu 18-Jun-09 22:54:54

Well the think is he said that she was thumping at around midnight two nights ago.

Now I went out to the tumble dryer in the shed at 11.55pm and she did thud up and down once in her hutch as I walked past her hutch.

After that I sat in bed (with her hutch underneath the bedroom window) reading until 12.20.

I don't think she makes any more noise that normal night time sounds and its not constant.

I do think that there are maybe foxes around the area. It wouldn't be a simple job to move the hutch, its big and heavy.

Lilyloo Thu 18-Jun-09 22:56:26

Is he telling the truth ?
Just that rabbits don't like sudden movement and would only thump when they are scared / nervous etc

bigstripeytiger Thu 18-Jun-09 22:56:33

Could it be anything else? Like your tumble dryer?
Are you near an airport - I have heard that the bird scaring equipment at airports makes a sort of banging noise?

funnypeculiar Thu 18-Jun-09 22:56:41

lol, I thought that too, fruitshoots.

It does seem very unliekly - suspect your neightbour is confusing your rabbits noise with something else.
I'd go with rabbit elsewhere/in houose for few days to prove him wrong...

mrsmaidamess Thu 18-Jun-09 22:57:46

I can't believe a little rabbit's foot would make enough noise to wake a grown man. He's having a laugh, or funny in the head.

hereidrawtheline Thu 18-Jun-09 22:59:11

how bizarre.

Does she get plenty of exercise? If not she might be trying to run around like a look in her hutch - they need a lot of exercise. But I cant imagine her being that loud! Very strange indeed. What kind of house are you both in?

islandofsodor Thu 18-Jun-09 22:59:42

He has fallen out with two more people in our street over various issues in the past!

Is there anything legal I can do about his plan to knock us up at unearthly hours in the morning?

Sheeta Thu 18-Jun-09 23:01:10

put rabbit inside, and then when he complains tell him to get a grip.

knocking on at 4am? he needs a kick up the arse!

HerBeatitudeLittleBella Thu 18-Jun-09 23:02:10

LOL fruitshoots that's exactly what I thought

hereidrawtheline Thu 18-Jun-09 23:03:28

he should NOT be allowed to knock at 4am unless you were throwing some sort of raucous street party. I really do not think a rabbit thumping qualifies and I have 4 rabbits. I would seek advice from the non emergency police to be honest it sounds a bit cracking.

FlappyTheBat Thu 18-Jun-09 23:04:22

was going to suggest you take the batteries out, but realised that I was thinking about the wrong sort of rabbitblush and that I'm not the only one here who thinks along the same lines!

islandofsodor Thu 18-Jun-09 23:04:54

Bloke who lives opposite (who he has fallen out with) is a police officer. He laughed when I told him.

Mum at school who is a lawyer also laughed.

mommy6 Thu 18-Jun-09 23:05:31

I would leave the hutch outside and bring the rabbit in.So the neighbour doesn't know you have moved the rabbit.Then see if he complains.
We have a rabbit right under the bedroom window.He doesn't wake us up.
Good luck.

islandofsodor Thu 18-Jun-09 23:05:55

Errr, can I ask.....

What other sort of rabbit do you mean? I have seen references on mumsnet and guess it is something sexual?

[blush}

islandofsodor Thu 18-Jun-09 23:07:34

We are detached 3 bed house. His is 4 bed I think. Our house is at the end of the street then a private road runs along the side and around the back behind our garden. His house faces our garden on the other side of the private road

mrsmaidamess Thu 18-Jun-09 23:07:43

mommy thats a great idea

hereidrawtheline Thu 18-Jun-09 23:07:48

its a masturbating device!

Have you thought about trying to make bunny a temporary house bun to trick neighbour?

missmama Thu 18-Jun-09 23:08:00

Have the rabbit inside for a few nights but leave the hutch where it is and see if he still complains....

hereidrawtheline Thu 18-Jun-09 23:08:51

oh my god that is mental. How on EARTH can he hear your rabbit? What is her breed? I am somewhat of a rabbit expert I need more info!

hereidrawtheline Thu 18-Jun-09 23:09:33

how old is he? what sort of person is he, is he likely to be deranged?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now