Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Has anyone done the "get £2,000 off a new car if you scrap you 10yr+ one"

(8 Posts)
FAQinglovely Thu 18-Jun-09 13:45:51

you know the thing that was announced in the budget.

DH and I are having a debate about it and he's suggested I post on here and ask if you (or someone you know in RK will suffice for me wink) has done it - and if so what car did they "scrap"??

bobsyouruncle Thu 18-Jun-09 13:53:44

Well we're THINKING of scrapping our 12 year old peugeot 306, but can't decide what to buy! What are you debating!?

LaurieFairyCake Thu 18-Jun-09 14:01:21

Yep, my lovely Mazda2 Diesel is sitting outside being all glowy and new as we speak. We scrapped a 11 year old Skoda for it.

Took 7 days delivery time and there was a period of 3 days where the old car had to be scrapped and the paperwork sorted (all by the dealer) before the new one came.

Car was 12,038 minus 2,000. Then we had to put a personal deposit of 1,000 down and then the rest was Mazda finance at 3.3% (very very low compared to personal loan rates)

traceybath Thu 18-Jun-09 14:05:18

My DH is trying to do this at the moment and i emphasise 'trying'.

He has contacted the following dealers locally:

- volvo - couldn't have been less interested and clearly didn't want to take part in the scrappage deal
- mercedes - again not really interested
- vw - slightly more interest but not exactly rushing to bite his hand off
- land rover - trying to find a dealer within 50 miles that hasn't gone bust

I must say that i've been really shocked - we thought they would be keen to sell a brand new car but even arranging a test drive seems to take up to a month.

Perhaps we should try mazda . . .

trixymalixy Thu 18-Jun-09 21:48:45

My Mum scrapped her saxo for a micra.

The saxo wasn't quite 10 years old but they still offered the discount.

obviously desperate to sell cars.

Milkycheeks Thu 18-Jun-09 21:52:39

Spooky - just been discussing this with DH too - we're looking at a Fiat Panda Eco, as it's the cheapest (and we can still barely afford that) so would be interested to hear anyone else's experiences too.

stripeypineapple Thu 18-Jun-09 21:55:09

The problem with this scheme is that as soon as your lovely new car has been driven off the forecourt it's devalued by about 2k so you've lost all that you briefly gained.

I wouldn't bother. I'd put in my old car as part exchange and get something from last year if I were after a new car.

RustyBear Thu 18-Jun-09 21:58:39

A friend at work has just done it - oddly enough I met her at the garage just as they were finishing the deal, as I'd gone there with the same thing in mind.

She bought a Toyota Yaris (think it was SR) & traded in an M-reg Fiesta - they had been shopping around first & actually got £3000 off.

I'm still thinking about it - I have an R reg Daihatsu charade, but I may keep it for DD if she passes her test this summer & just buy myself a newish second hand one without the handout.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now