Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Is anyone around who can hlp me with a benefits question?

(8 Posts)
lambanana Wed 17-Jun-09 11:17:04

My brother works in the care sector on the bank rota.

Recently the private company he works for was taken over.

It transpires that a lot of the CRB checks are out of date so while they process the checks, staff like my brothe,r who are not on fixed hours have been laid off.

So technically he is still employed but obviously receiving no pay.

They cannot give him a date as to when the checks will be completed so my question is will he be entitled to any unemployment benefit/supplementary benefit for this period?

He hasn't really done himself any favours as this is his 5th week without work so things are getting serious moneywise.

Would it be worth him applying for a crisis loan which he could pay back when he restarts work?

Any advice would be very welcome.

GypsyMoth Wed 17-Jun-09 11:20:00

I think crisis loans are for those already in receipt of benefits, not too sure tho.

He needs to go to the jobcentre asap

lambanana Wed 17-Jun-09 11:25:16

Thanks for that.

Yep me and my mum had a talk with him last night and told him to go to the job centre and stay there until he has sorted something out.

Thing is he isn't very proactive so I thought I would ask on here as well.

jugglingwoman Wed 17-Jun-09 11:28:23

Definitely you have to go to the job centre and ask for a crisis loan but they can be quite odd/irrational about how they work it out. A 17 year old girl I know was given £10 to get her to a job interview when she was being houses in a B&B miles away.

Has he filled out his CRB form? They say the waiting list is 6 weeks but I've never had mine take that long. Might be worth him bugging his 'employers'.

Good luck-I know how frustrating non-proactive people can be!

lambanana Wed 17-Jun-09 11:32:55

Yep he has filled out his form so really it is out of his hands.

He said he rang the tax credits and they have sent him a form (not yet filled in may I add) but we all know how long they take.

I am hoping that as I type this he is at the job centre. I will let you know how he gets on.

lambanana Wed 17-Jun-09 18:38:27

bump for the evening crowd

lambanana Thu 18-Jun-09 17:22:16

Well my brother got a crisis loan of 96 pounds.

Technically because he isn't on job seekers allowance yet he is not supposed to be entitled but the fella was being very reasonable.

He is waiting for his appointment with jobseekers plus so that they can process his claim for JSA.

His current employers say that his CRB is at stage 3 of 5.

mommy6 Thu 18-Jun-09 23:09:30

I hope they don't take as long as they are taking doing dd's jsa.She as waited nearly 4 weeks so far.She only need it til she starts uni sept or find some part time work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now