Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Buyer wants to reduce asking price - long one I'm afraid

(17 Posts)
NeedaNewName Mon 15-Jun-09 21:16:37

Now we're only talking £600 here but I feel that the buyer of our flat is taking the piss.

They've had an electrical survey done and the electrician has said that we need a new fuse box as it doesn't meet current regulations. I have spoken to an electrician and apparently any house that was built before approx 6 months ago doesn't meet current regulations.

There are a couple of ther things that granted do need doing, however there is nothing dangerous (as confirmed by the electrician who did the survey), can I tell them to take a hike as thats what I want to do.

I am willing to call her bluff and put it back on the market, DH is a little more inclined to meet her half way. What would you do?

ABetaDad Mon 15-Jun-09 21:41:05

Is the electrician saying that every house in the UK that is more than 6 months old has to have its fuse box replaced?

I saw a programme a few years ago on TV that said the commonest electricians scam is to tell people their fuse box needs replacing as it is the most expensive bit of electrical kit in the house.

I am sceptical but not an electrician so please don't take my word for it.

NeedaNewName Mon 15-Jun-09 21:44:22

I know ABD!!!! That what I think too, I now need the number of a good local electrician to come and give a second opinion.

I did manage to speak to one and his view was that she should pay as he doesn't thinks its necessary, however he;s not actually seen it.

BananaFruitBat Mon 15-Jun-09 21:46:17

I think the regulations only apply to all new fuse boxes being fitted. If your current one is not dangerous it won't need to be replaced, so I wouldn't pay up. It's a bit like deciding you want a new bath because the one already there isn't modern enough and asking the seller to pay for it.

scaryteacher Mon 15-Jun-09 21:48:42

We let our house out and had to have an electrical survey done before it could be let. Bloke said it needed rewiring, the lot, as it didn't meet current regulations. Got someone in to look at this report who said all I needed to do was have the switch of the immersion moved from inside the bathroom (2 metres away from any water) to outside the bathroom. Then I moved to Belgium where they just wire their ovens straight into the wall without any sockets....aaagh!

She takes the piss methinks. It doesn't need to be done - if it did she 'd be asking for a full rewire.

inscotland Mon 15-Jun-09 21:52:37

It's the same with windows. Anything over a couple of years old doesn't meet current standards. These change all the time. Tell them to bugger off.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Mon 15-Jun-09 21:57:13

New electrical work has to meet current regulations, anything older than when the new regs came into force does not have to meet those regulation.

For example, as we cannot afford to re-do all our electrics when we have our loft conversion completed, the electrician is putting all the new electrics into a seperate fuse box next to the old box, neither of the two having anything to do with each other. Our loft will meet the Part P building regs, and we will get the old stuff replaced when we have the money (as it means doing the whole house).

NeedaNewName Mon 15-Jun-09 21:57:16

Thank you thank you thank you.

Thought maybe I was being pig headed!

Would still like to get an elecctrician over to ensure that its not dangerous, he did say at the time the wiring was fine and good - will show this thread to DH now!

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Mon 15-Jun-09 21:58:45

as long as the wiring is not dodgy is exactly right. Our wiring is not dodgy but is in need of updating here and there, so we will do it at some point. But not for building regs, but for safety and to bring it all up to the same level.

Ivykaty44 Mon 15-Jun-09 21:59:05

Ah but the fuse box is safe, it isn't dangerous is it?

NeedaNewName Mon 15-Jun-09 22:02:34

THe electrician never said it was dangerous to me, but did say it needed updating as it didn't meet current regualtions but as another electrician has said, all house over 6 months old don't meet thise standards!!!

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Mon 15-Jun-09 22:04:19

don't do it. its a rip.

annh Mon 15-Jun-09 22:19:19

Have they had the full survey done yet? Are they likely to come back with further price reduction requests from that? Who else are they having come round? Someone to check for damp/dry rot? Is this the start of a long, slippery slope? I would agree with asking for a reduction if something major and serious was discovered but they sound like they will be the type of buyer who will haggle over everything.

NeedaNewName Mon 15-Jun-09 22:26:49

Exactly.

Yes the survey has been done, she has also paid for a boiler survey (new one installed 4/5 years ago) nothing back on that one, he commented on how good our boiler was and that she had nothing to knock the price down on.

I had intended to put a pack together of local info and good take aways, give the place a good clean not just tidy) before we left and also a bunchof flowers and a bottle of win welcoming her to her new home - bugger that now.

We also recently replaced the oven and hob - not with cheap crap either I might add, even though I knew we'd sold the place.

Does anyone know where we stand re leaving stuff behind. When the deal was what it was there were several things that we said we'd leave behind - fireplace (electric one that you attach to a wall rather than a fitted one - nicer than it sounds!) bathroom cabinet, blackout blinds, composter, etc - am now tempted to take them with us but not sure what the implications of this are if we do. Any advice?

annh Tue 16-Jun-09 00:06:09

Don't give in. They have already spent quite a lot of money on surveys so they won't pull out without a good reason (which this isn't). Re fixtures and fittings, you should have received a list from the solicitor asking what you are leaving, I guess if you haven't returned that you could change your mind about some items but that smacks a bit of tit-for-tat, descending to their level kind of thing. I would just go with not bothering to do any nice extras like leaving the wine, local info etc.

NeedaNewName Tue 16-Jun-09 12:04:15

I know Annh, the list has already gone back so I suppose I can;t change it.

Anyway update - I have spoken to our EA and explained everything to him - ie it doesn;t need changing, if she wants to thats fine but its at her cost, we will look at the bathroom light fitting and get back to him.

I also said how it had left a nasty taste etc and the fact of the new oven and hob, he said he will explain all this to buyer and get back to me, so just waiting to hear now.

I will obvioulsy not leave the place dirty when we leave, but neither will it get a good spring clean and there will be no flowers or wine, thoguh I will still sort out guarantees on stuff like boiler, windows, oven and bathroom. And I will be taking everything not on the list with me - whether I want it or not - petty I know, but thats her own fault grin

NeedaNewName Tue 16-Jun-09 12:15:18

Another update - EA has been on the phone, she said oh OK, he explained that if push came to shove we could do something with the light fitting, she said not to worry - I will now clean up for her and she can have her wine and flowers!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone for your help and calming reassurance, much appreciated!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now