Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

UK/Foreign family law solicitor

(4 Posts)
tribpot Wed 11-May-05 16:54:48

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can help me on this rather tricky situation for a friend of mine.

She's Swedish and lives in Sweden. She had a baby last year, the father of whom is a British guy, lives in London. They split up when she found she was pregnant (he was/is actually living with someone else, I only mention that in case it's relevant legally). He's been saying that he would contribute to the baby financially until recently, when a paternity test confirmed he really is the baby's dad. Now all of a sudden (although I was fairly confident this would happen) he says he is 'taking advice' and seems to be making himself uncontactable, i.e. his home phone has been cut off, he gave his address on the paternity test as a PO Box.

My friend wants to appoint a solicitor to sort out access/finances with him as things have got very difficult in her direct dealings with him.


1. Is she best to use a solicitor in the UK or in Sweden?

2. If UK, is there any real need to use a solicitor in London rather than elsewhere? (Clearly she won't qualify for Legal Aid, I kind of have a feeling a non-London solicitor will be cheaper?)

3. Is there any organisation that might be able to provide her with some advice, I'm thinking something like the Maternity Alliance but this isn't really their thing.

4. Is there any point using the CSA?

5. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good family law solicitor?

6. Can I go and get some legal advice on her behalf, i.e. if my solicitor's firm has a family law specialist (I've never had need to consult one). As I understand it, you can get a half-hour basic consultation for free?

I think that's it. My only advice to her so far, other than to get a solicitor, is not to count on any money appearing from this guy as I just don't think she's ever going to see any.

Many thanks in advance.

tribpot Thu 12-May-05 09:15:57

Just bumping this in case anyone can help.

irishbird Thu 12-May-05 09:21:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tribpot Thu 12-May-05 09:40:48

Thanks for the thoughts irishbird - it seems a bit strange to me that she wants to use a UK solicitor, I would have thought an English-speaking Swedish solicitor (is there any other kind?!) would have been better, so I'll definitely suggest that to her.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: