Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Freeholder wants to charge £700 to allow us to put in double glazing - is this allowed?

(3 Posts)
davidla Sun 14-Jun-09 23:01:38

Hi,

We are leaseholders of a maisonette.

Before we moved in there was double glazing in one bedroom. We now want to put double glazing in the other rooms. I wrote to the freeholder (a company) advising that we wanted to do this. They wrote back saying that under the terms of the lease they require us to enter into a licence for alteration and we have to meet the costs of this licence which is £500 + VAT plus the client's admin fee of £90.

I have checked the original lease (when the maisonette was built) and can see nothing that mentions a payment. However, the lease does not mention the company's name who now have the leasehold.

So...
1. Can they charge us?
2. What is a licence for alteration?
3. If the person who put the double glazing in the one room didn't pay the
licence does that make a difference?
4. Would the lease conditions change from the original time it was built,
and should I have a copy of it? (I've been through our records but can
see the original lease but no later one.) If I don't have it - who should I
get it from?

Thanks for any help!

wobbegong Mon 15-Jun-09 19:27:47

Sounds like they are trying it on TBH. My freeholder didn't give a monkeys when I replaced my windows.

I would write back asking them to identify the exact clause in the lease which requires you to enter into a license.

Otherwise I would go and see CAB.

Anyway, hope this bumps it for you.

davidla Mon 15-Jun-09 19:36:14

Thanks - a few people have suggested CAB so I will give them a try.
I think it's that they can charge it, so because they are &%*%$#s they will do it. However there are obviously some freeholders who don't because it's really not neccessary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now