Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can he stop me from moving? Urgent advice needed.

(9 Posts)
Somanykiddies Wed 11-May-05 12:10:05

My dp has sold his house and we are nearing the contract stage. We want to move out of area and have just found out that there is a possibility that x could stop us as it could restrict his access to children. X followed us to where we are currently living stating that his job gives him flexibility to do this and also last year one of his colleagues actually moved to the town that we want to be in so that wouldn't be a problem if he followed us again. Really need some sound advice as we were hoping to make an offer on a house this weekend and can't get hold of our solicitor until Tuesday!

Sorry it's a bit rambly.

piffle Wed 11-May-05 12:14:31

I sincerely doubt it, esp if it is not a huge distance away. I did not think they could stop you within your own countries borders, such as England, Scotland Wales etc
But I am only a lay person

lemonice Wed 11-May-05 12:15:35

I think that would be if you were moving abroad not within the UK

WigWamBam Wed 11-May-05 12:16:41

Have a word with someone at the CAB, if you can't speak to your solicitor.

Somanykiddies Wed 11-May-05 12:19:14

Thank you for such quick responses. The house/area is the other side of the country but as he has followed us before can't see it being too much of a problem. Will call CAB, hadn't thought of that.

SofiaAmes Wed 11-May-05 17:55:12

Wouldn't it be courteous to check with ex to see if he wants to move. Your children are lucky to have such a selfless father.

Somanykiddies Wed 11-May-05 19:44:24

Selfless is not the word or even thought. Soon to be ex was and is a control freak with both myself and the children, he has also become aggressive. He is using the children to get at me because I have shamed him by leaving. He has had no problem in moving once to be close to the children and has stated that his work gives him a degree of flexibility as to where he lives! As for being courteous to him, when he stops trying to get at me via the children and get a life, then we may be able to be courteous but as it stands, if he had not been such a hideous, nasty, controlling aggressive father and husband then this would not have been happening!

The fact that he also earns in excess of £50000 a year, pays minimum maintenance for his children, no spousal maintenance for last 10 months, selfless, I think not!

kid Wed 11-May-05 19:56:16

Hi Somanykiddies,

As he moved before to be closer to the children for whatever reason, I can't see him being able to stop you from moving. I assume he is able to travel so an arrangement could be reached where he can still see the children, thats if that is what you want.

I don't think SofiaAmes realised what he was like as you hadn't mentioned it in your post, but I remember you mentioning it to me when you sorted out my DD's desk. (which she still loves BTW)

CAB will be able to advise you properly and you should be able to speak to someone there before the weekend. They might be able to give you some steps to take beforehand to ensure he can't stop you.

Good luck

Somanykiddies Wed 11-May-05 19:57:51

Thanks Kid, hope to have things sorted soon. Glad dd loves desk!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now