Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Which bank would you recomend, really pissed off with ours and how hard is it to move?

(30 Posts)
AnguaVonUberwald Sat 13-Jun-09 13:23:13

We are with HSBC and I am really annoyed with them.

I can never get through to anyone in the call center who speaks understandable english (even if you ask for the manager) I don't care where they come from, I just expect the english to be good enough to trust they understand what I want to do with my money.

I now do online banking with them but the final straw was;

When we married we added DH to my bank account - one account/one address.

When we moved I phoned them up adn changed the address.

a year and a half later we set DH up with an isa - just in his name - and they phoned to say that his address was still the old one - from 18 months ago.

When I complained - several times - all I was told was "we don't have the tapes from that time when you phoned, too long ago.!"

That is not the point, they can see its been the new adress for 18 months and they have confirmed they have been sending stuff to the old address - really annoyed!

So anyway - is your bank any good? Should I change banks?

Blackduck Sat 13-Jun-09 13:30:49

Smile.co.uk (online version of the co-op) I have never had any issues with them - and dead easy to move to them, they pretty much took care of everything...

silkcushion Sat 13-Jun-09 13:33:29

I work for NatWest. They only have Uk call centres and generally have the highest customer service scores of all the banks.

However, like any other place they do mistakes I suppose.

Changing banks is really really easy now (people just don't realise it). You sign a form with the new bank. They write to HSBC and get details of all yr standing orders and direct debits and people who directly credit (like your employers or child benefit). Then they write to all these people saying that on a certain date they all switch to your new bank. Takes about 6-8 weeks to be fully set up cos of the amoutn fo work involved for the bank.

Good luck

Millarkie Sat 13-Jun-09 13:35:04

First Direct (although they are HSBC owned I think) but they are lovely when I ring, UK call centre and very helpful. (and I think if you hate them and want to leave they give you £100)

AnguaVonUberwald Sat 13-Jun-09 13:36:15

Silkcushion - its not so much the mistake as the attitude - Oh well we can't get the tapes - like that meant it was ok and they didn't even have to think about it!

Ponders Sat 13-Jun-09 13:37:45

alliance & leicester are pretty good, call centre in uk, & if you know anybody who already has an account with them & they recommend you you both get £25.

switching is pretty easy these days, they are supposed to sort out all the DDs, SOs etc for you (& I think if there are any errors they are the bank's responsibility)

blowbroth Sat 13-Jun-09 13:50:57

I agree with millarkie. We have been with first direct for so long I can't remember. It was pretty soon after they started. I know they're part of HSBC but we have had no problems at all. My nieghbour is with HSBC and she always seems to be having trouble with them. First direct always score well in customer satisfaction surveys.

AnguaVonUberwald Sat 13-Jun-09 18:27:51

Ok, thankyou very much ladies.

Any other recommendations?

nannyL Sun 14-Jun-09 10:44:20

I would like to unrecommend barclays.
I can not unrecommend them highly enough...

I moved to halifax and they have been fab

Ambi Sun 14-Jun-09 11:04:45

Snap NannyL, I was with Barclays for years, I then sold me car and wrote a cheque for £9k to pay off the loan, they cancelled the cheque without my authorisation telling me I had to update the mandate, this incurred us many fees from the loan company so I got a bankers draft to close my account - which they didn't do properly I had to go back to the joke of a branch to close it down 3 times. Absolute Shite.

We banked with HSBC at work, never liked them either, they appeared to be money grabbing sods.

I moved to Halifax, love them. We have the £5 account, and have opened the same account in Bank of Scotland, so we get £10pm for just banking with them, it's nice to get something back from a bank.

feedthegoat Sun 14-Jun-09 11:16:43

Definately not Alliance & Leicester. I switched from Natwest a few years ago for the higher interest and free travel insurance and tbh i wish I'd not bothered.

They have made so many mistakes from cancelling my new account as they 'thought' it was a duplicate as I share the same initial as my dh hmm to taking direct debits out of my account that are not mine. They have cashed cheques for the wrong amount (giving me more!) and insisted it won't be a mistake because 'we don't make mistakes like that'!

It isn't just the mistakes, it is more the attitude when you try to sort it out. It is not a telephone account but staff in branch say they cannot help you and just send you to the phone. The branch staff just seem to be glorified sales people and in my branch incredibly rude at that (they usually just ignore you and carry on having their own conversation whilst they serve). Natwest seemed much better service, you just didn't get anything extra.

notcitrus Sun 14-Jun-09 11:40:58

FirstDirect have been competent with everyone I know. And you get £50 for opening an account usually.
I also unrecommend Barclays - moved main acc after 17 years with them, and they still cock up beyond belief.

nannyL Sun 14-Jun-09 12:18:09

Ambi.... I had to enter the branch to close my account 4 times...

i had stopped using my account, it had no money in yet a bank error (it even showed up as that on the statement) took me £500 OD.... as a goodwill gesture they agreed to refund to charge for their error... but wouldnt let me close the account as it was OD... shock
went back and forwards, the kept promising to close it (they never did)

in the end when i got another statement (of £0.00) I called... and TOLD them i would never ever enter a branch agai and the acount would be closed and it would be closed today over the phone.... well i refused to agree to go in for the 5th time... and i went up to the manager and their manager and their manager and eventually i got my account closed over the phone grin

(I also got my time and petrol money refunded for my numerouse bank trips (about £50, i cahrged them 40p per mile)

the reason i stopped using the account was that they kept paying other peoples money into my account, or randomly withdrawing my money one day, realising it was a mistake and paying it in the next day etc (I mean this happened lots of time)
1 time i was sitting in Uni taking one of my finals, and 300miles away in a village i have never herd of or been to £100ish was paid into my account... i queried it and they were adament I had been there and paid it in at that time shock.... yes cause im really likely to ask for money i have paid into my account to be removed hmm

the only + point with barlays was that they made so many mistakes i kept getting £30 - £50 compensation when i made a huge fuss! hmm

Ponders Sun 14-Jun-09 13:46:56

Our A&L account is internet-based, goat - the internet part works fine, so I rarely have to ring the call centre, but when I do they are fairly helpful (some more than others hmm but then it is in Liverpool wink)

I have also been involved in opening an account at a branch recently & the staff involved there were lovely.

So IMO & E A&L are still perfectly recommendable smile

duckyfuzz Sun 14-Jun-09 13:49:21

another vote for first direct, who are fab and although part of HSBC they don't let that get them down

juneybean Sun 14-Jun-09 13:53:58

I'm with Intelligent Finance and I have never had any problems with them, however they are solely internet based.

Ambi Sun 14-Jun-09 17:52:27

I liked Intelligent Finance too juneybean, they were a very good bank.

Laugs Sun 14-Jun-09 18:07:27

Recommend Smile. Don't recommend Allaince and Leicester.

Ponders Sun 14-Jun-09 18:23:43

Which magazine & moneysavingmartin do smile

wobbegong Sun 14-Jun-09 18:26:09

Recommend First Direct. Make sure you claim your free £100.
Only thing is you have to take out a credit card or a saving account with them, otherwise they charge you monthly, unless you get quite a lot of money paid into your account. Also not good if you keep much money in your current account as it charges no interest.
But for service etc. they are hands-down the best.

ejvw Mon 15-Jun-09 10:02:10

Also recommend Smile - been with them for 6 years, never had any problems at all. V helpful on the phone, internet banking extremely easy. They also made the switch to them seamlessly. And if that's not enough, they have a very impressive ethical banking policy if that floats your boat at all!

MuppetsMuggle Mon 15-Jun-09 10:11:00

I bank with Think Banking through RBS, and think they are fabulous, is also a UK callcentre, no bank charges made either

AnguaVonUberwald Fri 19-Jun-09 10:34:37

OK, it seems the most recommended is first direct (even though part of HSBC) I will look into it!

Thankyou very much for all your suggestions

puffylovett Fri 19-Jun-09 10:39:58

another smile recommendation here, and they recently came out top in a survey of chargeable bank accounts for value for money, ie we get free travel insurance etc with ours.

first direct are also brill, I was v sad when i had to close my acct with them

AnguaVonUberwald Fri 19-Jun-09 10:40:18

Or maybe still Natwest?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now