Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Please help - about a nasty neighbour

(20 Posts)
mammyto1 Fri 12-Jun-09 22:22:44

Evening all I was wondering if any of you can offer some advise.

We are a building a 3 flats, top flat and basement flat keep up to date with maintence fees (£30 per month so not much)

The middle flat has paid nothing and last time I tried to talk to him I was shouted at and treated like crap so have avoided him and if I seen him didn't really speak aprt from hello.

Fast ford to tonight and he was blasting the music soooooooooooooooooo load that woke my DD up so my husband asked if he could turn it down but yet more abuse but a lot more exreme, calling me racist names and my husband other names and basically went up to mu DH face and said it is only going to get worse!!

We live above him and he has been roaring at my husband about how we get up at 5.30 every morning, but I really can't be any quietier, he is complaining about things like running the bath or walking up and down the 6 stairs to the bathroom or DD room. His bedroom is below ours so try and keep dd out in the morning.

I have called the police which are coming to see him tomorrow but just wondering what I should do as I really don't feel safe in my home especially with DD in the flat.

I am sitting here so upset with his music getting loader again by the minute!!

mammyto1 Fri 12-Jun-09 22:34:44

Bump

BetsyBoop Fri 12-Jun-09 22:37:51

didn't want to leave your post unanswered, this from the CAB website might help?

NigellaTufnel Fri 12-Jun-09 22:40:02

Does he rent?

mammyto1 Fri 12-Jun-09 22:51:39

Thanks betsy will contact them tomorrow

Nigelle no he owns it, we all own our flats

mammyto1 Sat 13-Jun-09 13:08:58

Just bumping to see if any one has any further advise? The police are coming at 8pm to talk to me tonight but today I am scared to go past his door and go outside plus every bang of a door or something is making me jump and adding a sick feeling in my stomach. Don't know what advice I am expecting to get but if anyone has been through similer your comments would be a great help.

HecatesTwopenceworth Sat 13-Jun-09 13:12:28

I haven't but wanted to post in support of you, because you sound really stressed about it all (naturally) I hope the police are helpful - hopefully a word from them might make him think twice. You should make a point of mentioning the racial slurs, since they can take action on that alone.

mammyto1 Sat 13-Jun-09 13:16:02

Thanks hecates, yes I will make it a very strong point re the racist comments, its just so hard as he was like someone possessed.

Earlybird Sat 13-Jun-09 13:23:52

Does he own the flat? Wondering if you could complain to his landlord.

A good friend had this problem. Police were sympathetic, but couldn't do much as, of course, neighbour denied being noisy. My friend spent months keeping a 'sound diary', etc, but ultimately moved as nothing changed.

Police perhaps can be more helpful in your situation as you have been threatened. Hope things improves. Must be hugely stressful.

FiveGoMadInDorset Sat 13-Jun-09 13:26:24

Are you leasehold or freehold, who do you pay your managing fees to, or does it go to a general pot for repairs?

mammyto1 Sat 13-Jun-09 13:27:55

Hi earlybird, he owns his own flat but our lockin peroid for or mortgage is up in January and I am thinking of seeling even if at a lost. I feel I can't even breath in my own home

mammyto1 Sat 13-Jun-09 13:30:52

It goes into a general pot for repairs and buildings insurance. We signed an agreement Feb last year but so far he hasn't paid a single penny. It is leasehold but we have set up a business to take ownership of it iyswim

Earlybird Sat 13-Jun-09 13:32:11

Did he sign the agreement?

mammyto1 Sat 13-Jun-09 13:33:10

Yes we all did

FiveGoMadInDorset Sat 13-Jun-09 13:33:29

Is it a legally binding document, if so then you and the other flat owner could get a solicitors letter, may be worth going to CAB for more advice.

inscotland Sat 13-Jun-09 13:33:37

Get a diary and keep a full note of dates and times of his behaviour. This needs to be his verbal behaviour and others like his music. Contact environmental health about the music noise.

mammyto1 Sat 13-Jun-09 13:38:07

We didn't get it done through a solicitors, should we have then?

I think us and the basement have been really naive with the whole freehold/leasehold thing as it is the blind leading the blind. The guy below us used to be really nice and now I think he is an alcoholic with some sort of personality disorder.

mammyto1 Sat 13-Jun-09 13:38:51

Thanks inscotland will do that from last nights date.

FiveGoMadInDorset Sat 13-Jun-09 13:40:26

If you are setting up any sort of business then you should do it through a solicitor and have a proper agreement written up, still worth taking a copy of the agreement to CAB and see what they say about it.

mammyto1 Sat 13-Jun-09 13:41:56

Thanks five will do that asap. I thought if we all signed the argeement it would stand up but by the looks of it it doesn't look like it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now