Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Weekly shopping bills.......

(36 Posts)
SPARKLER1 Wed 11-May-05 09:52:33

Dh and I were working out finances last night and were shocked in the amount that was being spent each week on food, cleaning products and other necessities.
Admittedly, instead of doing one big shop each week I tend to pop into the shop every other day or so to pick up something and end up coming out with a few other bits and bobs. I think I need to stop doing that and only allow myself to do the one big shop (and obviously bread and milk stops throughout the week).
How much do you think you spend on shopping?

Nemo1977 Wed 11-May-05 09:54:44

our big shop is £50 a week and thats for 2 adults a toddler and a dog

wordsmith Wed 11-May-05 09:55:13

I do well over £100 all-told. (weekly online shop and a couple of smaller trips for fresh stuff). I could do it more cheaply if I was more organised, and prepared to make more of an effort (and had more time so to do!)

mancmum Wed 11-May-05 09:56:15

there are a few threads on this but as ever I can never find them... think the secret from them all is to PLAN PLAN PLAN and go to Aldi!!

Carla Wed 11-May-05 09:56:54

Nemo. Can you let me know how? That's about what I spend in an effing day

compo Wed 11-May-05 09:57:16

our weekly shop should come to £40 a week for 3 of us. Sometimes we manage it but mostly we go over. We spent £71 at the weekend because dh needed razors and I needed wine

SPARKLER1 Wed 11-May-05 09:58:52

Nemo that's great. Carla I know what you mean. Just popped in the shop after school drop off to pick up a loaf of bread and came out spending £10 as I saw a few other things.

Carla Wed 11-May-05 10:00:00

Take out these things:

I smoke

Have 2 dogs who only eat roast chicken

Have curly hair that demands some vastly expensive lotion if it's not to go madly frizzy

Other than that .... blimey ... £50 a week????

Nemo1977 Wed 11-May-05 10:03:16

pmsl... dont know how its gone so cheap but i do one online shop and tend to buy stuff on offer etc. I then have to top up ds milk in the week as he goes thru about 12 pints a week so get 6 with shopping and buy more thru week.

Prettybird Wed 11-May-05 10:13:13

Spend about £20/week at Lidl and between £50 and £70 a fortnight at Sainsbury's. That's for me, dh and ds (4.5) - although ds gets his lunch at the childminder's.

Between the two, it probably averages at about £50/week - and that is not skimping. We still eat very well, although we don't get much ready prepared stuff (except for the chicken nuggets for dh and me and/or Peking Duck/curry - our Friday night vice, depending on whether it is a Sainbury's week or not). And I still like my branded washing and diswasher powders, even though I could get them cheaper at Lidl.

Maybe spend another £10 once a fortnight at the butchers - more if we are having people around for dinner.

A wee bit extra "pocket money" for each of us during the week for lunches and a case of wine every so often from Oddbins/Majestic for about £70 and that's about it.

Titch1 Wed 11-May-05 10:14:22

I shop about every 10 days (work shifts!!) and spend about £75, but sent dh at the weekend (with a list )cos I was working and cupboards empty and he spent £142 !!! I make it cheaper by buying offers, menu planning (doing WW) and make a list. And also don't let dh get involved

Nemo1977 Wed 11-May-05 10:14:33

we eat well and am also a sahm but maybe it gives me more time to use food iykwim...

birdsong Wed 11-May-05 10:22:50

me and dh and 4 children - between £150 and & £200 a week !!! Very scary

Aero Wed 11-May-05 10:27:25

Average out at around £80pw! There are five of us and we're still buying nappies! Would be less if we could do without those and wine!

Carla Wed 11-May-05 10:28:09

Blimey - no wonder we're not compatible!!!

How do you do it, then? H comes home at around sometime between 7.30 and 9.00pm (been in the pub or the 'Con Club'), as my daughters so wonderfully put it. He normally demands a meal on his return, and bearing in mind I can't do that and bath dds - who also eat different meals- how would you do that? Without buying a ready meal for him, and for me to have latter, how would you do that? Spag bol would be perfect, but dd1 won't eat it, and it's too 'foreign' for 'H'.

Nemo1977 Wed 11-May-05 10:29:31

carla there is all sorts u could cook and then just heat his up..lasagne, chicken, curry, pasta

Carla Wed 11-May-05 10:50:36

Nemo, in no particular order as far as this household's concerned:

1: too foreign

2: too animally

3: too spicy

4: too sloppy ( and I had an Italian dad, so know not to overcook! )

Nemo1977 Wed 11-May-05 10:51:12

omg so what does he eat..just meat n 2 veg?

Carla Wed 11-May-05 10:53:27

Nemo ... got him in one!!!

Prettybird Wed 11-May-05 11:23:53

What about things like chicken thighs? Cheap (and I know Lidl does them) and you can do some nice "not foreign" thins with them.

Mince pie, steak pie (using cheap cuts of meat, but cooked for a long time), shepherds pie (left overs from a roast lamb, minced or food processed, and cooked up with some canned tomatoes, onions, worcestershire sauce and topped with mashed potato) are some red meat alternatives.

expatinscotland Wed 11-May-05 11:27:18

£50/week - 2 adults, one child, and two cats. We don't drink alcohol (I'm pregnant and DH is teetotal), so that helps.

What we do is take £100 out per fortnight. Cash. Everytime we want to buy food, we take from that kitty. Believe you me, you start paying really close attention to what you're spending pretty damn quickly.

I've become expert at using the slow-cooker, marinating foods (works wonders on cheaper cuts of meat), and now make my own cleaning products to save £££.

If we have any money left over at the end of the fortnight, we treat ourselves to Pizza Hut or a restaurant.

piffle Wed 11-May-05 11:50:34

Sparkler I came here to ask that exact same question, I don't want to compromise on quality of food as I home prepare everything from scratch.
This needs to include DH's and Ds's packed lunches.
We easily spend well over £100 a week and would ideally like to get it to £80 or below, we use Lidls and the market stalls we spend over £12 on tomatoes alone!!! And about £6 on bananas!
Plus we drink far too much therein may lie the answer
I want to do the cash thing, when you know there is money in the joint a/c and if it runs out dh magically tops it up, it's not good for a girl with no way of saying no
Dh says I need to learn FFS I'm nearly 35 and ain't learned yet!

Tinker Wed 11-May-05 12:01:20

Avoid Tesco. Soooo expensive, always feel very annoyed with myself whenever shop there.

dizzydo Wed 11-May-05 12:24:58

I dont mind using tesco on line now I have found the £10 off vouchers!!

bumptobabies Sat 11-Jun-05 11:35:21

where do you shop if tesco is too expensive tink?
where can i find the £10 vouchers dizzy d?
and exp please tell me how you make cleaning products,ive just bought a new cooker and im determined to keep it clean any tips?
oh i spend £70 at tesco for 4 each week and more if i actually go into the store.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: