Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

So, I've been paid and they've deducted tax (even though I don't pay it)

(7 Posts)
LaurieFairyCake Thu 11-Jun-09 14:09:26

Do I really have to wait til the end of the year to claim it back from the Inland Revenue? hmm

I work one day a week, under the tax threshold.

BennyAndJoon Thu 11-Jun-09 14:11:59

Take a look at the tax rate on your pay slip. Call tax office and explain your circumstances and they will advise you. Is it a new job? They may have put you on emergency tax rate which means that you always pay tax.

LaurieFairyCake Thu 11-Jun-09 14:16:48

Thanks for responding, they have put me on the emergency tax rate. I have worked there 5 months but they have only paid me for the first time today (they kept sending the money to someone else).

Do I have to stay on the emergency tax rate? They've deducted NI too even though I pay class 2 contributions seperately.

edam Thu 11-Jun-09 14:18:04

Benny's right, you need to call the tax office. Shouldn't have to wait long for repayment IIRC.

ChasingSquirrels Sat 13-Jun-09 16:44:14

speak to HR
you should have filled in a P46 (assuming you didnt have a P45 from the last job to give them).
you should have a proper coding, and then in your next pay the tax will get corrected.

If you have been paid 5 months pay in mid-June you will only have 2.5mo of personal allowances to offset against this. Which may be impacting on your tax deducted.
Emergency tax as such doesn't really exist, you may have been put on a Week1/Month1 basis which means that you only get the personal allowance for one pay period instead of cumulative to date.

What is the tax code on your payslip?

juneybean Sat 13-Jun-09 16:47:27

If you're on tax code BR you will pay the tax rate on 100% of your earnings.

Mutt Sat 13-Jun-09 16:47:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now