Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

I want to legally change my name

(7 Posts)
JustcallmeDog Wed 10-Jun-09 13:59:29

Message withdrawn

MamaG Wed 10-Jun-09 14:00:44

Go to a solicitor and do a change of name deed

price varies but cheapest is £50 plus VAT

unless you are on a low income and entitled to Legal Help (like legal aid) and then you'll get it done for nowt

Are you changing it to Dog?

mumblechum Wed 10-Jun-09 14:13:56

I do it for £35 a throw but think it's about time I upped my fees. It's a 10 minute job using a precedent so you def. shouldn't be paying more than £50 plus VAT.

The sol should give you the original and about 6 certified copies for that.

JustcallmeDog Wed 10-Jun-09 14:15:43

Message withdrawn

mumblechum Wed 10-Jun-09 17:47:11

It shouldn't take long at all. What happens in my firm is that I'll speak to the client on the phone to get names & address, confirm their marital status & whether they're a British Citizen. So that's 5 mins. Then give it to secretary to type out, send out as a draft either that day or the next & client makes an appointment for whenever's convenient. I ask them to bring in ID.

I then meet them for the first time, go through the Deed, get them to sign it, I witness it & photocopy it, certify the copies & hand it over with my bill.

Should all be done & dusted within a week, or less if you're in a hurry

DaisymooSteiner Wed 10-Jun-09 18:14:32

Sorry to hijack, but if you want to revert to your maiden name from your married one, does this need to be done by deed poll too? (I'm happily married btw, but I had a lovely and very unusual maiden name which I now bitterly regret ditching and would like it back!)

higgle Sun 19-Jul-09 15:00:57

As I understand it you don't need a deed at all. So ling as you change your name for all purposes and have all your documents changed that is fine. People have deeds done so they can just produce a piece of paper without having to go into long explanations. I have the name I was born with, and kept it on marriage because it is all a lot less trouble.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: