Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Personal Injury Claim after car accident, can anyone help please?

(5 Posts)
slightlycrumpled Wed 10-Jun-09 13:37:28

Hello, three years ago I was involved in a serious car accident that was not my fault. The other party was prosecuted by police and admitted liabilty to insurance.

I have undergone all medical checks, given my business accounts etc and am still waiting for my claim to be settled. We are using the solicitors that the insurance company are assigned to, and last heard at the beginning of May that the other party has now agreed to settle but have heard nothing since. All emails being ignored.

Is it normal for it to take so long, I have not even been paid for my loss of earnings or personal possesions, let alone the injuries.

What to do next? Does anyone have any advice or experience?

Thanks for reading. smile

bratnav Wed 10-Jun-09 13:39:59

Keep hassling your solicitors. I used to handle PI claims for a living. The other sides insurance company are probably dragging their heels a bit, but keep calling your claims handler and nag nag nag (politely). Your claims handler (if their company is anything like mine was) will be overloaded with far too many cases to keep track of properly.

HTH

meep Wed 10-Jun-09 13:46:07

agree - phone and nag (nicely) - it will get them moving on it. Emails are easier to ignore than phonecalls.

Also - keep an eye on time limits - if your accident was over 3 years ago and your claim isn't "settled" properly then you lose the right to raise a court action to claim compensation. Your solicitor should know this.

Hopefully they are negotiating like mad on your behlaf - but they shoudl really be discussing the value of your claim with you to check that nothing is missed out.

slightlycrumpled Wed 10-Jun-09 14:15:36

Thanks bratnav and meep. Right, have phoned them up, apparently not been answering emails as been on holiday for six weeks. hmm Said that will now go for a court date, court papers were issued in March so hopefully the three year thing won't come into play. Accident was three years ago in August, the thing is it makes you want to say 'Oh just forget it!' I wonder if this is what they are hoping for.

Thanks again for your help, hopefully will be sorted soon.

meep Wed 10-Jun-09 16:53:25

you sound fine for the 3 year thing!

once your case is in court it tends to get passed to a solcitor (on the defender side)rather than just a claims handler and hopefully things will move more quickly for you.

good luck - and don't you dare give up!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now