Advanced search

Which one should i pay ?????????

(25 Posts)
nutcracker Tue 10-May-05 13:08:15

I am slightly behind with my rent and am paying extra a week to catch up, but this month I am really struggling again.
I am also 2mths behind with current council tax payments and 1mth behing my council tax arrears payments.

I can only afford to pay one or the other so which one ??? I am sat here dithering about it and paying non as a result.

Chandra Tue 10-May-05 13:10:04

Which carries the higher penalty if you don't pay? IMO, That's the one to pay.

soapbox Tue 10-May-05 13:11:21

I would say to pay your rent first.

Have you seen the CAb about getting some debt counselling so that you can managed all of your payments??

Might we well worth it

nutcracker Tue 10-May-05 13:12:27

Erm well i'm not sure really. The h/a will be on my back if i don't oay them and the same with the council tax, although they tend to add costs on top don't they.

Ooooooh i don't know, can't believe i am behind with bloody council tax again, after i tried so hard to clear it all before

Freckle Tue 10-May-05 13:13:09

Best bet is to contact each creditor, explain your difficulties and offer to pay what you can afford on a pro rata basis, i.e. pay slightly more to the bigger debt, slightly less to the next and so on. If they can see that you are trying and that they are being treated equally to other creditors, they are more likely to agree to receive smaller payments.

If you are really struggling, go to your local CAB and ask if you can see their Money Advisor. They can draw up a budget for you and write to your creditors. Creditors are much more likely to accept an offer if it comes through CAB as they know that CAB will have looked carefully at your finances in order to ensure that each creditor is treated fairly.

nutcracker Tue 10-May-05 13:13:25

I could go to CAB but at the mo i have already negotiated minimum payments on everything so i don't think there is much they could do.

Freckle Tue 10-May-05 13:14:34

Have you checked to ensure you are claiming all available benefits?

SoupDragon Tue 10-May-05 13:14:35

I'd phone them both and explain the situation.

nutcracker Tue 10-May-05 13:15:10

My rent payment is non negotiable and to be honest i don't want to pay any less than i already am cos it will never be straight otherwise.

Council tax, i really could give a toss about but then obviously I have to pay it.

Am beginning to think having this house was a mistake

nutcracker Tue 10-May-05 13:16:49

We are not entitled to housing benefit or council tax benefit apparently.

I only renegotiated my rent payments yesterday so can't ring them and change it again.

LIZS Tue 10-May-05 13:18:18

Pay the rent first.

Freckle Tue 10-May-05 13:18:40

Are you sure about that? Are you claiming child tax credit and working tax credit?

nutcracker Tue 10-May-05 13:24:01

Yep, we get wftc and ctc but not housing or council tax benefit.

KathH Tue 10-May-05 18:32:09

i'd pay the rent but i would contact council re your council tax as you could end up with the bailiffs but if you explain situation then they will probably agree a repayment plan - ours did and were very helpful whereas they said if we'd just not paid then they charge for magistrates court and then bailiffs and that costs loads.

FIMAC1 Wed 11-May-05 06:35:35


Please speak to your local Citizens Advice Bureau, they will have a qualified Debt Counsellor who will be able to help you with this -

giraffeski Wed 11-May-05 07:34:06

Message withdrawn

Freckle Wed 11-May-05 08:18:47

Actually, CAB is likely to tell you that each of these creditors is a priority creditor, i.e. they each have a penalty available to them that is serious. Yes, council tax can involve the bailiffs, but not paying your rent can result in you losing your home. Neither creditor will jump in straightaway with the ultimate sanction, but it is important to keep them informed of what is happening.

Although you may feel that you have negotiated the lowest possible payment, sometimes the involvement of CAB in the negotiations can result in a better arrangement for you.

giraffeski Wed 11-May-05 12:10:50

Message withdrawn

cori Wed 11-May-05 12:23:17

My advice is to pay the council tax. Baliffs would get invovled otherwise.
I work for a H/A and my experience is that you have to have serious arrears and making no effort to make payments before they start proceedings to evict you. I would give them call though to tell them you are having problems this month. Keeping them informed always helps

Kidstrack2 Wed 11-May-05 13:30:15

Where I live they evict you for not paying council tax. Obviously over some amount of time. I used to work in a housing office in a different district many years ago and I only ever remember 1 family being evicted because the council tax arrears had built up over 2 years! My advice is to call in to your local council tax office and explain in further detail about your hardship at the moment and agree a smaller amount for the arrears and try paying more toward the current months ct. As for the rent it has to be paid, we all have to pay for the accomodation we live in. But again ask at your housing office if they can reduce the arrears to the minimum and concentrate on the current rent payments. You could also try your local CAB but they tend to let you get on with it yourself when council tax arrears are involved, although they will speak to you about financially budgeting your income! Good luck

FIMAC1 Wed 11-May-05 15:35:32

Dh used to work in the CAB as a debt counsellor -
arrange an appointment with their debt counsellor and take in ALL your outstanding bills.

They are trained to deal with the creditors and will negotiate with them on your behalf. Be honest about what you have got outstanding - many a time he would be representing someone in court who would turn up on the day with a couple of extra carrier bags full of bills - even though he had insisted they be honest with him about their finances -

Good luck - hope you get some help

happymerryberries Wed 11-May-05 15:38:55

Agree with all of those who say go to the CAB. Phone tem and make an appointment. They deal with this sort of stuff all the time, are totaly none judgemntal and will help yu to sort out the problems. Phone and make an appointment now

hercules Wed 11-May-05 19:01:10

council tax.

nutcracker Wed 11-May-05 19:05:19

Oh....I paid the rent. Am going to pay the council tax when i get my child benefit in about 2 weeks.

We are really trying to sort all this out and it annoys me when i know how we have cut back on so many things, food, clothes etc and yet we still struggle.

Have arranged to swap telephone line today as the other company is slightly cheaper......every little helps.

I am torn at the mo between going back to college in sept or just going and getting any old job now.
Would do both but i know my college work would suffer too much.

Mud Wed 11-May-05 19:06:56

I would say speak to both of them and explain the problem

they would far prefer to get your money than for you to default on payments and they will / may understand and give you better terms

speak to CAB who provide a free debt management / liaison service

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: