Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Bank refused to pay item as it would have taken me 1p overdrawn then charged me £35 for it!!!

(19 Posts)
Lilyloo Mon 08-Jun-09 20:08:25

I am so furious and they say there is nothing they can do.
Basically because i had one charge refunded x number of years ago they are only allowing one refund per account!
I appreciate I made the mistake but £35 for 1p and they didn't pay it anyway angry

Ponders Mon 08-Jun-09 20:11:01

Tell them you will be closing your account asap & moving to a bank with more sensible charges.

bastards angry

(do name & shame btw - assume it's one of the few remaining big ones?)

nannyL Mon 08-Jun-09 22:04:54

omg

surely that is unfair as you didnt technically go over your limit but they have charged you anyway? angry

Twinklemegan Mon 08-Jun-09 22:08:01

Switch banks ASAP. Idiots.

LadyOfWaffle Mon 08-Jun-09 22:11:34

DHs bank (natwest) does this. Doesn't pay the bill. but still charges £38. Then if the |£38 comes out and takes him overdrawn, he gets charged another £38!

nippersnappers Mon 08-Jun-09 22:13:41

Oooo sounds like NatWest to me, although could be any of the banks I have ever banked with to be honest. Legallised theft if you ask me and a bloody cheek after the mess they have got the economy into. If I could keep my money under a matress I would.

Fizzylemonade Mon 08-Jun-09 22:50:13

Close your account now and get another bank.

Vote with your feet.

LoveBeingAMummy Tue 09-Jun-09 08:04:43

If you've spoken to them and they are refusing then you can write to them and ask to take it further as an offical complaint which MAY change things however unlikely. The truth is that most banks do this so if you do wish to move to another then you need to read their T&Cs carefully.

Also was this a DD, sounds obvious but it will be represented so make sure you ahve enough money with the fee so it doesn't happen again.

ChopsTheDuck Tue 09-Jun-09 08:11:39

change to tsb. They can be pitas a lot of the time too, but if you have online banking, and sign up for alerts they will text you to warn you when your account is low. You also get then til the end of the working day to rectify your acc going overdrawn before them returning the dd or charging you.

ABetaDad Tue 09-Jun-09 08:19:13

Write to the bank and also the Banking Ombusman and set out your case clearly and succinctly.

They banks are terrified of losing a case on charges. The fact is it is an entrely unfair charge as you never went ovedrawn and it is entirely at the discretion of he bank to refund it and it can be done in seconds.

Lilyloo Tue 09-Jun-09 09:50:25

thanks all it's the Halifax interestingly i have been reading an article on how the banks are using their customers to try and improve their balance.
Bsically upping charges , increasing overdraft etc
Sadly it basically named the majority of high street banks sad
I am going to write to them though as technically i didn't go overdrawn so no idea how they justify it. But am assuming they will given the state they are in now!

ChopsTheDuck Tue 09-Jun-09 10:04:29

the charge would be for returning the dd not for going OD, surely?

Lilyloo Tue 09-Jun-09 10:08:10

Yes likely Chops and doubt other than leaving it will get me anywhere.
How can it cost them £35 to refuse to pay a switch payment ? Who knows i think the warning when funds are low for online banking is a really good idea though!

Itsjustafleshwound Tue 09-Jun-09 10:16:25

But aren't the banking ombudsman looking at all unfair banking practises and in particular, unfair banking charges ...

hope this helps

stripeypineapple Tue 09-Jun-09 10:22:26

Utter bastards.

Move over to Barclays. They automatically give you a £5 buffer for such instances and if you do go over the £5 their charge is only £25 (last time I was charged anyway) and they will refund this once every year.

Call them up and see if they'll do something about it. A friend of mine is always being charged and she is also always charming her way out of charges. Can't hurt to try.

ChopsTheDuck Tue 09-Jun-09 10:29:00

I woulds still complain even if the cahrge is for returning the dd, because it was only a penny, but it'd prob hit or miss as to whether you will get anywhere.

We also have an acc with alliance who are really awful, they take the £35 instantly if a dd can't be paid, and then charge you again for going OD! I've had refunds a couple of times from them though.

Ledodgy Tue 09-Jun-09 10:31:01

I've had this with the Halifax too. I bloody hate them. I have dreams of one day becoming super rich and then walking in with a huge cheque and telling them I am taking it elsewhere!

Lovemyshoes Tue 09-Jun-09 10:42:00

I'm not sure, but, I THINK there is a template you can use for writing to the banks on the 'Martin Money Saving Expert' site.

Lilyloo Tue 09-Jun-09 11:20:52

Ledodgy me too!
I did ring and was basically told they are only allowing one refund on any account even though it was years ago i got a refund!

All part of them recouping some money me thinks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now