Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

What are you meant to do when wrong item has been delivered and company don't get in touch to collect it?

(6 Posts)
Tinker Tue 02-Jun-09 20:08:40

They've been told and correct item has also been delivered but have heard no more from them. Just how much effort are we meant to put into getting it back to them? When, if ever, is it ours??

scampadoodle Tue 02-Jun-09 20:12:48

I think if you've made repeated efforts to tell them & they still haven't retrieved it after 3 (6?) months, you can keep it. I'm hazy on the details but I'm pretty sure that's your general legal position. I'm sure someone can contradict me...

nigglewiggle Tue 02-Jun-09 20:15:52

No idea, but I would send an email (so that you have a record of it) giving them 2 weeks to get in touch and retrieve said item, and tell them that if you haven't heard anything by then, you will 'dispose' of it.

risingstar Tue 02-Jun-09 20:47:50

it is 6 months I beleive. We have a delivery from Wickes with our address on. no name, no reference number, it was just left outside our house. sadly it is of no value either so off to the tip it goes in a few weeks.

Tinker Tue 02-Jun-09 23:15:18

Oh, promising. It is of value (better than item we wanted). Worth about 130 new.

atworknotworking Sun 05-Jul-09 14:36:18

We had similar a few years ago, company kept delivering books after we had cancelled and not collecting, had a huge pile in the end and they kept sending a bill. In the end I said that I would be charging them storage for their stock at the rate of X per day, they came the next day and collected everything grin.

I was told that you can legally charge storage so most companies will pick up quick if you mention this if they don't pay their bill for starage you can withhold the goods.
Not sure where this info is in legal terms but has worked for me 3 or 4 times over the years, so I reckon they must know. Not sure if the right of possession passes over after so long, but I'm sure if you find something and hand it into police if no one claims after a certain time you can claim it, so their may be a similar law wrt goods delivered to your home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now