Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

maternity pay question

(2 Posts)
heylottie Tue 02-Jun-09 14:25:58

Hello all
I get 6 weeks maternity pay from my employers at 100% - I then go to SMP for the rest of my leave.

Am I right in thinking that the government reimburse 90% of this 6 weeks to my employers, so that my work in effect pay 10 % of my wages for 6 weeks?

If that is so - what happens if they were to pay me, say, 12 weeks mat pay, before SMP kicks in? Does the government reimburse only 90% of the first 6 weeks, or the full 12?

I hope that makes sense... and thanks for any knowledge!!!

Biccy Tue 02-Jun-09 21:19:06

Hi heylottie.

The goverment will reimburse your employer 92% of the SMP paid to you. (Unless they are a very small employer with a low NIC bill in which case I think they get more). As you will be paid 100% for 6 weeks, this will be 90% SMP, and 10% extra paid for by your employer.

But, they'll pay more than 10%, as they'll be paying the whole extra 10% during those six weeks, plus they'll only be recovering 92% of the SMP bit, and then there's employer's NI on SMP as well.

If they paid you 12 weeks at full pay, they'd get 92% of 90% of your average weekly earnings for 6 weeks, and then 92% of the standard SMP rate for the next 6 weeks, and they would foot the bill for the rest.

Hope that helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now