Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Appearing as a witness - will costs be reimbursed?

(4 Posts)
morgymoo182 Tue 02-Jun-09 01:40:40

Will give a bit of background first...
Basically, a friend of mine has been asked to appear as a character witness for a mutual friend. Said mutual friend is trying to get access to his daughter, but was never married to the mother (so it's not a divorce case). It's all got a bit complicated and bitter now, and I believe they are getting barristers involved. So my 'witness friend' has been asked to go to court as a witness to a particular incident, and as a general character witness.
He would like to know:

A) if his travel costs and loss of earnings will be reimbursed. (He will have to take a full day off work and travel a few hours away, but can't really afford to at the moment!)
B) what he should wear. Is a full suit required?

Thanks so much in advance!

inscotland Tue 02-Jun-09 09:14:06

I don't think his costs will be reimbursed but hey sticking up for a friend shouldn't cost money.

Suit is probably best. Either that or smart trousers and a shirt.

nigglewiggle Tue 02-Jun-09 09:25:51

I know in criminal cases you can claim for expenses, not sure about loss of earnings. Not sure about civil cases though. He could ring the court and enquire.

morgymoo182 Wed 03-Jun-09 01:20:47

Cheers guys.

He's more than willing to do this for his friend, but money's so tight at the moment and a days wages is a days wages. Obviously it won't make a difference to whether he does it or not.

Thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now