Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Want to remortgage - how to find best lender

(11 Posts)
mears Tue 03-May-05 22:33:44

Have looked on internet - moneymarket (supermarket?)

Anyway, it all seemd too impersonal. Is it better to go to a financial consultant to find the best mortgage.

We remortgaged in the past and used a FC but am not sure we got the best deal. We want to release capital and get rid of credit card debts. Anyone have any recommendations for building societies?

ks Tue 03-May-05 22:37:05

Message withdrawn

ks Tue 03-May-05 22:38:14

Message withdrawn

bossykate Tue 03-May-05 22:39:26

mears, have a look at unbiased . this is a guide to independent financial advisors - you can search to find one in your area. the initial consultation is free. i'm sure they could advise you on whether it is best to go via the internet, a building society or a mortgage broker.

hth.

mears Tue 03-May-05 22:41:13

Thanks ks - unfortunately it says mortgages not available in Scotland and that is where I am

Milliways Wed 04-May-05 16:51:46

First Direct do offset mortgages, & HSBC have won loads of best long term lender awards, but as they refuse to pay commission, no independant broker will recommend them.

lemonice Wed 04-May-05 17:15:11

I have just found a mortgage through charcolonline, although I telephoned them rather than fill in online and you have a consultant adviser appointed to you. I had to use a broker as my circumstances are rather non standard but he was really helpful and the mortgage I am taking is with Abbey (offset extender or something.

Mo2 Wed 04-May-05 17:18:57

Mears, we remortgaged recently and found by far and away the best deal through using a mortgage advisor. Many of them have special deals not available directly online or through banks etc. The difference between the one we went for and the best deal we could get ourselves saved us about £200 a month . This more than paid for the IFA fee in about 3 months.

I can't remember who we used - will ask DH and post later!

Mirage Wed 04-May-05 20:38:33

We are using The Cheshire for our new mortgage.They don't charge a valuation fee & their rate is something like 4.9%,fixed for 5 years.They have been super efficient & helpful so far & are listed in the times/telegraph best mortgage buys nearly every week.I think the set up fee is £395 & that is it.

Orinoco Sat 07-May-05 21:25:34

Message withdrawn

milge Sat 07-May-05 21:45:18

Indeed. Also check here for good deals. I have found Charcolonline to be good, as is Savills Private Finance

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now