Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Does being "bound over " = a criminal record?

(3 Posts)
BadgerBadger Tue 03-May-05 18:07:28

I have a young friend in another country who was arrested for disturbing the peace.

In court they were told the case would be bound over for a year and that they would have to behave throught this period to avoid a sentence.

If they stay out of trouble for the next year, will they still have a criminal record?

How does this work?

If they were to move here (UK) to work in the future, would this show on a police check and damage their chances of work?

donnie Tue 03-May-05 18:20:05

I may be wrong but i think it is a bit like having a caution - it is not a criminal record as such but is lies ' on file' for the period of its duration and is then deleted ...in theory!not sure if it would show on a police check, it probably would but would not count as a criminal offence.

BadgerBadger Tue 03-May-05 22:45:14

Thanks Donnie, we were hoping that would be the case

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now