Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Has anyone successfully challenged a private parking ticket

(13 Posts)
twofalls Wed 06-May-09 15:21:48

I parked in a private car park at the station yesterday and got back to my car to find a parking ticket on it. I had not parked in a allocated bay. When I looked, I realised there was a white line on one side but not on the other but there were no yellow lines indicating you shouldn't park there. It was at the end of a row in a corner. The fine is £70 if I pay in 7 days or £100 if leave it. Reading the moneysupermarket website, many of these companies do not pursue you - it's not worth their while - and I do have grounds for challenging it, i.e. - it wasn't obvious that the space was not a bay.

Has anyone ever challenged or refused to pay one of these fines? £30 I could understand, but £100 shock

twofalls Wed 06-May-09 17:19:17

anyone? thanks

trixymalixy Wed 06-May-09 20:49:15

Hi, try www.moneysavingexpert.co.uk or www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk. AFAIK these private parking companies can't enforce these tickets so you should just ignore it, but there is a lot more info on the other forums.

twofalls Thu 07-May-09 08:12:25

Great, thanks trixy, both those sites make really interesting reading. These companies are just run by cowboys. I spoke to a friend who had a ticket for being ON a white line in a marked bay. angry

ThePhantomPlopper Thu 07-May-09 14:55:59

My DH got a ticket at a ferry terminal from a private company, he refused to pay for some reason (which i can't remember) they chased him for a month and that was that. He did explain why he wasn't paying though, it was something to do with timings i think.

Mulanmum1 Thu 07-May-09 20:00:38

I've had two tickets from private companies and ignored them. Don't even acknowledge them, they'll send some threatening letters and then forget you.

3littlefrogs Thu 07-May-09 20:02:51

Agree with mulanmum. I have had the same experience. Only tickets issued by the local authority are legally enforceable AFAIK.

twofalls Thu 07-May-09 22:16:49

that's good to hear thank you. I have thrown it away and will ignore until they start getting threatening and then I will explain the reasons for not paying it. They have to make their charges clear and have to clearly indicate areas that are not to be parked it. The space I parked in probably has people parked in it a couple of times a week at least. I will let you know if they try to take it further!

LionstarBigPants Thu 07-May-09 22:20:35

I had one about 4 months ago and just chucked it in a drawer and haven't heard a word since.

twofalls Thu 07-May-09 22:21:37

so glad I didn't do what DH told me to do and pay it. The power of MN grin

Mulanmum1 Fri 08-May-09 08:19:16

No, twofalls, don't acknowledge them even when you get the letters from their "debt collection agency". They'll tell you that you now owe them £15,399.23 and court action is "imminent". IGNORE and they will crawl back under their stones.

twofalls Fri 08-May-09 09:34:54

Ok, thanks mulanmum, I might need to come back on here for some courage if they start getting threatening grin

Looking into it, they really don't have a leg to stand on. DVLA should be taken to task for passing drivers details on to these people.

twofalls Mon 24-Aug-09 21:29:09

OK, I now need some courage. They are sending threatening "court action imminent" letters. I am ignoring them still.

Not sure if you are still around mulanmum1 but thought I would post anyway!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now