Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

divorce-legal aid

(5 Posts)
Henda Sun 24-Apr-05 16:05:04

does anyone know whether you can get help with getting divorced? my partner and i eventually wanna get married, especially now we have a new ds. but i'm still married, not a nasty split, we've just gotta sort out the paperwork, but i hear its expensive still. i'm on mat leave and money's tight, so i wondered about legal aid, but i'm embarrassed to ring a solicitor.

mummytosteven Sun 24-Apr-05 16:25:50

yep, you can - but will depend on your income as to whether you would have to pay all/some/none of the solicitor's fees. think you can get more information as to solicitors who do legal aid on the community legal services website - or alternately look for ones in the yellow pages that have a legal aid symbol on the advert.

Henda Sun 24-Apr-05 16:29:33

oh man, thank you so much for that

feelingold Sun 24-Apr-05 16:44:45

I didn't have to pay anything when I got divorced but I lived on my own with 1 child (although I was seeing someone).
My ex-h and I split up cos he had an affair but when I met someone else he divorced me for adultery (cheek huh), but it did mean that he had to pay for everything and I got legal aid cos I was getting working families tax credit as it was then (5 years ago now).
You can usually get a 1/2 hour free session at a family law solicitors for some advice, so they would be able to tell you before you take things any further cos I'm not sure how it stands if you divorce him.

Henda Sun 24-Apr-05 16:47:46

cool, i was thinking maybe he might do that too, he's a bit pissed that i've got someone else, even though our split was mutual. hmm...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now