Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

PREMIUM BONDS..........

(37 Posts)
swiperfox Sat 23-Apr-05 20:50:38

My Nan bought me some when I was little but my Mum doesn't know where they are. Is there a way to find out/check my numbers online?

lesleylala Sat 23-Apr-05 21:23:50

you can go to nsandi.com to check the numbers but I guess you will have to find them first!! If you email them they should be able to help though.

RTKangaMummy Sat 23-Apr-05 21:43:56

IIRC you can fill in a form and write a letter telling them your maiden name address etc and they will trace them for you

onlyjoking Sat 23-Apr-05 21:57:17

i always check them online but you do need your account number, we have won something every month in the five months we have had them only 50/100 quid a time but nice anyway, good luck

swiperfox Sat 23-Apr-05 22:05:00

Thats what my mum was just telling me... her friend at work has them and they win £50 - £150 all the time!!

So how does it work - if i've won anything in the last 20 years has it all been kept until i claim it?

RTKangaMummy Sat 23-Apr-05 22:07:48

Yes am sure it will always be there for you

You have reminded me to do something about the one that was given to me 38 years ago

I phoned them up

get the booklet from post office for contact details if can't find them on the web.

good luck SF

congrats OJ

swiperfox Sat 23-Apr-05 22:12:13

Thanks - have found the website and emailed them. Might have to get them for dd and ds too - I had forgotten all about it til my mum said about it tonight!

Good luck with yours too RTKM Hopefully we'll be a little better off this time next week!!!

onlyjoking Sat 23-Apr-05 22:13:13

yes you can track your wins on the website, they are drawn on 1st working day of the month and the website is updated three days after that, we decided to put some money in cos other stuff like shares were losing us money, i think they are brill cos you cant lose your money but you may just win, to win regularly you need to put a fair bit in thou

RTKangaMummy Sat 23-Apr-05 22:39:13

Swiferfox you will tell us if you win the jackpot won't you?

RTKangaMummy Tue 26-Apr-05 18:15:36

WATCH

WORKING LUNCH .......... BBC2........12.30pm

THURSDAY THIS WEEK

Gobbledigook Tue 26-Apr-05 18:22:47

This is interesting because apparently I got some when I was born too but nobody knows where they are! Will go to that website!

RTKangaMummy Tue 26-Apr-05 18:47:42

On working lunch they are going to talk about the £2 BILLION

sitting unclaimed in bank accounts and premium bonds.

SueW Tue 26-Apr-05 18:54:32

But hasn't there recently been some change to the law which now allows all that unclamed money to go to charity? It used to sit in banks' books forever and someone could walk in at any time and if they proved it was theirs, bank would pay them amount of capital plus interest if applicable.

I have a TSB accont somewhere with a couple of quid in. And a nationwide one too, maybe a quid in there 'to keep it open'. Neither has been used since before I was married - 12 years now.

RTKangaMummy Tue 26-Apr-05 18:57:04

Will tell you more on Thursday

WORKING LUNCH 12.30 BBC2

alibubbles Tue 26-Apr-05 22:27:51

My DS has won £850 on £500 worth in three years.

I have £30,000 and have won zilch since September!

Last month a lady one £50,000 on a £1 bond bought in 1957!

swiperfox Tue 26-Apr-05 22:37:30

I emailed them and they said that if you have lost your numbers/bonds you have to write to them with as many details as possible - old addresses, maiden name etc. the address to write to is...
Premium Bonds, National Savings & Investments, Blackpool, FY3 9YP

swiperfox Tue 26-Apr-05 22:38:31

Thanks for that RTKM - will be watching that!!

QueenEagle Tue 26-Apr-05 22:41:15

dh has £15,000 of them and wins £50 most months....nice bit of pockets money!

RTKangaMummy Tue 26-Apr-05 22:45:57

SF you are welcome

I like to watch it anyway I like Adrian and Adam

And it is interesting IMHO

Think you may need to send marriage certif, off as well IIRC

alibubbles Wed 27-Apr-05 06:31:22

What we do is put our tax fund into premium bondsz, hence the large amout, as you can pull it out as soon as you like.

My parents wins every month !

Prettybird Wed 27-Apr-05 08:56:43

They only show the last 6 months worth of wins on the official web site - but I think that there are other web sites you can go to to check for wins.

But if you are "formally" tracing old premium bonds with them, I am sure they will tel you if you have any unclaimed winnings.

RTKangaMummy Wed 27-Apr-05 22:39:59

DON'T FORGET

WORKING LUNCH

12.30pm

THURSDAY

Linnet Wed 27-Apr-05 22:58:47

My father in law has bought some Premium bonds for our girls but I don't know how many or any of the numbers so I can't check them.

He only got them last month though so I don't think they've been put into a draw yet. I'll have to see if he'll send us the numbers so we can check them in the future.

It's good to know that people have had some wins.

RTKangaMummy Thu 28-Apr-05 10:22:51

don't forget

WORKING LUNCH

BBC2

swiperfox Thu 28-Apr-05 10:30:49

Linnet they will contact you if you win - I think they just automatically send you the cheque as long as they have all your up to date names/addresses etc. Good luck!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now