Advanced search

Wages paid after leaving company.. advice please

(5 Posts)
Yorkiegirl Sat 23-Apr-05 11:36:48

Message withdrawn

Freckle Sat 23-Apr-05 11:46:18

My understanding is that, if the overpayment was the result of a genuine mistake on their part (i.e. it wasn't paid as an extra and they have simply changed their minds), they are entitled to recover the money. However, they must give you the exact amount and show how they arrive at this figure. If you agree the figure, then you should offer repayments at a rate you can afford. If they do not accept this, their only option would be to sue to recover the money, at which point you would make the same offer, which would probably be accepted by the court and the employer would be left with court costs as there was no need to bring the case to achieve this result, IYSWIM!!

Yorkiegirl Sat 23-Apr-05 11:51:04

Message withdrawn

Freckle Sat 23-Apr-05 12:00:14

I would reply to them referring to their unsigned letter of x date and asking for a copy of the 24th December letter, which you have never received.

The way it has been handled sounds very unprofessional and they certainly need to set out very clearly how much money they say you owe and how they arrive at that figure.

Freckle Sat 23-Apr-05 12:21:59

Another thing you need to consider is the tax situation. The Inland Revenue will be under the impression that your dh has earnt £x last tax year and he will have been taxed accordingly. If you are now having to repay some of that money, your tax situation is not correct. Raise the issue with the company and ask how they prospose to rectify the now erroneous tax situation.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: