Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

I have no passport/driving licence/birth certificate Can i get a bank account?

(17 Posts)
swiperfox Thu 21-Apr-05 17:47:16

any ideas?

JanH Thu 21-Apr-05 17:48:22

Why no birth cert?

ggglimpopo Thu 21-Apr-05 17:48:24

Message withdrawn

ggglimpopo Thu 21-Apr-05 17:48:49

Message withdrawn

JanH Thu 21-Apr-05 17:50:11

Hi gggl

Socci Thu 21-Apr-05 17:50:26

Message withdrawn

Twiglett Thu 21-Apr-05 17:50:41

get a duplicate birth cert then

and you'll probably need household bills

stitch Thu 21-Apr-05 17:52:30

aha, you dont esist them!
phantom of the net....

JanH Thu 21-Apr-05 17:55:35

I'm sure you do have to have some proof of personal ID now because of money laundering laws - just address proof isn't good enough. But if you have an account already maybe that is proof in itself?

swiperfox Thu 21-Apr-05 17:56:42

Just lost it a long time ago - i didnt mean literally dont exist lol

I just wanted to go and open a basic account tomorrow and wondered if i'd be able to with bills etc

LIZS Thu 21-Apr-05 17:59:23

Agree with JanH. Banking tightened up a few years back and you may need birth certificate, passport or may be driving licence with photo in addition to household bill as proof of address.

JanH Thu 21-Apr-05 17:59:27

opening a UK bank account (for overseas students, dunno if it all applies to Brits}

JanH Thu 21-Apr-05 18:01:57

aha - have you got "Benefits book or original notification letter from the Benefits Agency (including Dept. of Work and Pensions) and/or Job Centre Plus confirming the right to benefit"?

That will do apparently. (I'm thinking child benefit) (though if you are anything like me you will not know where a letter is!)

JanH Thu 21-Apr-05 18:03:12

Full list here (from RBS)

swiperfox Thu 21-Apr-05 18:10:25

ThanksforthatJanH-and you're rightI havenoidea wherethey are!!!(mustget a new keyboard too!!)

It's becauseaman just came roundwith £200 credit formeand i couldntgivehim anything but bills for ID so hewent away lol

stitch Thu 21-Apr-05 18:13:19

if youwere born in the uk getting a replacement birth certificate is a doddle. costs about a tenner i think. you just go to the registry office near where you were born, and they shoudl dig it out.

Ameriscot2005 Thu 21-Apr-05 18:21:08

You can also order your birth certficate online:


Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: