Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax Credits/Gift Aid: Did you know?

(4 Posts)
purpleturtle Tue 19-Apr-05 12:43:22

As I've just phoned the helpline to let them know about this month's payrise, it occurred to me that there may be people out there who don't know this:

Anything you give to charity by Gift Aid can be deducted from your gross income for tax credit calculation purposes.

This doesn't seem to be made known very well in any of the paperwork, but if you phone and say 'Our household income is x, but we give y to charity by Gift Aid, so for tax credit purposes our income is (x-y) they're quite happy!

Because as Christians we tithe 10% of our income to church, this makes quite a difference to us.

purpleturtle Tue 19-Apr-05 12:55:54

shameless bump

Milliways Tue 19-Apr-05 22:31:01

A church friend pointed out to us that the more you give (gift aid) the more tax credit you can claim - so the more you can give!

We are about to claim tax credits for first time (huge change of circumstances) - so this looks good- our church is rebuilding & needs all it can get!

expatinscotland Tue 19-Apr-05 22:51:15

Cool! Some payraises you don't have to report, you know. Mine can rise up to £2500 (lol!) before our credits change.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now