Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

How much working family/child tax credits do you get?

(9 Posts)
sandyballs Mon 18-Apr-05 15:23:02

The reason I ask is that my DH is being made redundant next week and I'm looking into any benefits we may be entitled to whilst he looks for a new job. We currently get £40 a month working family/child tax credit (I work part time) and I've just been on to the inland revenue website to put in our new details (ie, DH no income as of 29/4) and it came up with £7000 a year!! Surely that can't be right, seems an awful lot. Great though

Aimsmum Mon 18-Apr-05 15:31:05

Message withdrawn

Toothache Mon 18-Apr-05 15:34:24

Sandyballs - Is that not assuming that the children still have to be in childcare? I think once they see that one parent is not working then surely they must question why any preschool age children need to be in childcare. Just a thought.
My money shot up from £50 per month to £300 when I was on Mat Leave, but that was coz I was still classed as employed and still needed to keep Ds's Nursery space available.

expatinscotland Mon 18-Apr-05 15:38:05

Depends if your children are in care of a registered childminder or your partner stays home.

sandyballs Mon 18-Apr-05 15:41:14

I have two 4 year olds who are at a state nursery - the only childcare part is the occasional breakfast club/holiday club which we obviously won't need if DH is at home, but that only came to £35 a week on average so won't make that much difference.

What else would he be entitled to - jobseekers allowance etc? This is all new to us and I'm worried about how we will manage financially - I work 21 hours a week and earn £16,500.

flic23 Mon 18-Apr-05 15:41:22

i have yet to sort my credits out had mix up with P45 thats still not sorted i have used the on-line thing and the figure came out at £33 is this per week, month,year i found it totally unclear. Also does anyone know if u can get back paid

TheVillageIdiot Mon 18-Apr-05 15:42:04

SandyBells - when I looked at that site it tolde me an amount much higher than I was actually entitled too. I think a few others have experienced this too - if I were you I'd ring up and ask, they give you quite an accurate estimation. hth

purpleturtle Mon 18-Apr-05 16:09:11

Thanks! You've just reminded me I need to ring them about a change of circumstances!

Linnet Mon 18-Apr-05 21:59:29

Nothing at the moment as they haven't made any payments this tax year, problems with their system apparently, oh joy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now