Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Help - will this affect my credit rating?

(17 Posts)
Socci Fri 15-Apr-05 17:25:33

Message withdrawn

Chandra Fri 15-Apr-05 17:27:33

I don't think it will, but it really worries me that you have had your debt sold without noticing. Is there any possibility they have got your details or passwords in an unauthorised way?

Socci Fri 15-Apr-05 17:30:36

Message withdrawn

SaintGeorge Fri 15-Apr-05 17:35:36

Probably someone with an account number one digit different should have had their debt passed on.

Don't worry too much, you would be surprised how often stuff like this happens. Keep the letter you got today safe just in case but your file will have an amendment on it saying the transaction was an error on Next's part.

Also, write to Next complaining bitterly about the worry and concern that this has caused you. Lay it on a bit - would be very surprised if you didn't get some sort of compensation.

tomasinatank Fri 15-Apr-05 17:50:50

This is interesting. MAny years ago I left the Uk to work overseas and my Next account was pain off. When I returned 4 years later I phoned Next Directory to get a new directory now I was back in the UK and quoted my previous account number as I thought it would be good for credit with them etc as I had been a previous customer. I was told that the account had been sold to a debt collection agency due to arrears! I was stunned. My parents (whose address I had been at while I had the account)had heard nothing from them or a collection agency but as I just didn't know what to do I just eft it and a while leter DH took an accont out with them under his name.
Now you have posted this I am sure it was all a mistake on their part and looks like not the first!

foxinsocks Fri 15-Apr-05 17:58:44

Equifax is a credit rating agency. The fact that they have said they have removed the default status from your account suggests to me that they have amended your credit rating already (i.e. corrected it).

I would get a credit report from Equifax . You have to pay for it but if I was you, I would make Next pay for it as it was their error.

Socci Fri 15-Apr-05 18:06:49

Message withdrawn

foxinsocks Fri 15-Apr-05 18:12:10

no absolutely not. You have a right to see information that is held about yourself. You can get a statutory credit report from places like Equifax for around £2. They will post it to you normally within around a week.

However, for around £8 you can see it all online and you can dispute it straight away if you think something is wrong (they will also present the information in a more readable format).

I think it's definitely worth the money if you think they've been mucking about with your account. It's the sort of thing you only find out at a later stage when it's causing you problems!

SaintGeorge Fri 15-Apr-05 18:12:31

Getting a report is fine.
Getting credit scored (for a loan for example) especially if it happens frequently can effect your rating.

foxinsocks Fri 15-Apr-05 18:13:17

ps Experian is another credit rating agency

Socci Fri 15-Apr-05 18:24:09

Message withdrawn

Socci Fri 15-Apr-05 18:31:11

Message withdrawn

foxinsocks Fri 15-Apr-05 18:50:49

socci, effectively a 'default' is where you have not kept to the terms of a credit agreement. I think (from memory) these stay on your credit report for 6 years and show the amount outstanding (also good credit stays on for 6 years, i.e. where you have paid according to the terms). Once you settle the balance of the default, it's shown as 'satisfied'. From what they've said to you, it seems as though they have removed the default tag altogether (as they should have done).

I don't know about dh. Normally when you ask for a report, you have to fill in details for your other half as you're living at the same address and alot of this agency information is driven by the address (rather than the person).

foxinsocks Fri 15-Apr-05 18:52:38

it would have been Next who told them the account was in default. It can't have come from anywhere else as they are the ones who hold your details (unless they have someone else entirely who deals with their debtors books - but still in your eyes, it's Next that made the error). To be honest, it sounds like they have rectified the error straight away but you can't do any harm checking your report.

Socci Fri 15-Apr-05 20:35:49

Message withdrawn

Socci Sat 16-Apr-05 13:33:32

Message withdrawn

Socci Sat 16-Apr-05 13:45:37

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: